You're supposed to teach...

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
facts, and you're supposed to be accurate. You're also supposed to be unreligious as well, but, since this isn't Christianity I guess its alright...:rolleyes:

A textbook monitoring group said that Maryland middle and high school students will be required to read about Islamic teachings that have been dumbed down and are products of political correctness.

spike

Yeah, no schools teach dumbed down politically correct information about christianity! :rofl3:

:laugh:

Shit, I almost typed it with a straight face.

Gato_Solo

:thumbup:
Too bad they can never get it done, huh?

I always find it strange that the schools seem to allow every religion inside their doors except Judaism and Christianity...or...perhaps they don't view anything else as a religion.

2minkey

bootlicker
they can teach whatever they want so long as they are presenting stuff as a set of beliefs corresponding with a certain group rather than the way things are. and thar's been plenty of "whoops left that one out" versions of christianity. why not cut those bloodthirsty mohametans a similar break?

i've never heard of judaism being suppressed in schools. but where i grew up the local, largely secular jews kept a keen eye on any creeping jebus in the public schools. and thankfully they did an A #1 job.

Gato_Solo

they can teach whatever they want so long as they are presenting stuff as a set of beliefs corresponding with a certain group rather than the way things are. and thar's been plenty of "whoops left that one out" versions of christianity. why not cut those bloodthirsty mohametans a similar break?

Interesting way to put it since the core belief structure for Islam is the same core belief structure that Judaism has. Now add the fact that Christianity is, for all its trappings and dogma, just another branch of Judaism...

2minkey said:
i've never heard of judaism being suppressed in schools. but where i grew up the local, largely secular jews kept a keen eye on any creeping jebus in the public schools. and thankfully they did an A #1 job.

You made my point quite eloquently. Christianity should not be taught in schools. By the same token. niether should Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, Shintoism, Tao, Dao, Paganism, Animism, Mysticism, etc. Get the point? If a teache reads an excerpt from the Koran, and, six months later, reads an excerpt from the King James version of the bible which says, essentially, the same thing, which excerpt would get said teacher in more trouble?

MrBishop

...which is not to say that studying theology in relation to society shouldn't be taught. Comparative structures of differing/related theologies in a historical perspective.

Which begat which, where they differ, where they're the same, how they affect laws, morals and mores.

2minkey

bootlicker
Interesting way to put it since the core belief structure for Islam is the same core belief structure that Judaism has. Now add the fact that Christianity is, for all its trappings and dogma, just another branch of Judaism...

You made my point quite eloquently. Christianity should not be taught in schools. By the same token. niether should Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, Shintoism, Tao, Dao, Paganism, Animism, Mysticism, etc. Get the point? If a teache reads an excerpt from the Koran, and, six months later, reads an excerpt from the King James version of the bible which says, essentially, the same thing, which excerpt would get said teacher in more trouble?

i don't really think the core of judaism and the core of islam are the same, other than, crudely, they are both monotheistic. but, then, so is hinduism. oh, yeah, they both proscribe pork. are the cores of judaism and christianity the same? i'd say, no. I'd say it's a pretty good bet that them Tao and Dao thingies are pretty close to the same, though. and, again, there's nothing wrong with teaching comparative religion. it doesn't hurt kids to know that christians have this concept of the trinity or got in some shitfit argument a zillion years ago about the dual substance of cripe that eventuated in a split of the church, or that muslims have six pillars up their butt, that jews (in a show of good judgement) lack that moronic concept of "original sin," buddhists are really nice, except those japanese guys that are really severe, and the guys in the yellow robes are are sunnyasi, and an orange robe guy can be from tibet, where brothers share wives eeeew, peel is not actually an flds member although he has fond by-the-highway memories of texas, and spike is not actually a robot programmed to only respond in inane ways.

2minkey

bootlicker
...which is not to say that studying theology in relation to society shouldn't be taught. Comparative structures of differing/related theologies in a historical perspective.

Which begat which, where they differ, where they're the same, how they affect laws, morals and mores.

yeah. exactamundo.