You've got to be kidding...

greenfreak

So all the PC po-lice would be appeased when (not if...) I set that row of fast spreading cypress trees betwixt me and the neighbors who collect demolition derby cars and other, uglier stuff.

Not that I give a flying rat's ass what the PC po-po or much of anybody else thinks about a damn thing I do...just nice to know that all the tree huggin freedom hatin libs runnin amok around here won't have that to cry about at least. I ain't oppressin nobody, violatin their rights to uselessness, enslaving the trees in any intolerable manner, imposing my capitalistic greed over the good of the underpriviledged, manipulatin the environment for personal benefit...nothin like that. Groovy.

"Living screens" are really popular around here. I have a row of 10 really tall and thin evergreen shrubs in my backyard that were placed between my backyard and the neighbor's driveway. One side of my property has no fence at all, it's on the corner, but there's no way you could get/see through it because of all of the brush there.

Anyway, don't be a hater. Gonz has called me a tree hugging dirty liberal before, but you don't hate me too, do ya SNP? :p

jimpeel

Believe it or not, there is a law in my town that whoever puts the fence up has the crappy side facing IN. Which is stupid, right? They're paying for it, why should the cross slats be inside?

It was explained that it's due to safety. Because those cross sections can be used to scale the fence. It becomes especially important when there is a pool on the property.

The solution is to get one of those newfangled fences that has no cross slats. Although, right now, we have a plain old stockade fence with cross slats facing us because the people who owned my house were the ones who footed the bill 14 years ago.

Actually, I do believe that. Some time in the past some "city father" had a fence built at his porperty line with the good side away and got pissed at being stuck having to view the new "eyesore". You can get any law passed, regardless of speciousness, if you attach the magic "safety" word to it.

greenfreak

Actually, you weren't the tree hugger I had in mind. :D Yer too far east for that. Now, yankee...you might be hurtin'. :kiss:

:banana:

Sweet. I feel much better now.

You should see how beautiful my blue spruce looks right now with the fresh snow on it. I was thinking about taking it down because it cuts the view of my house in half. But I don't think I have the heart.

greenfreak

You can get any law passed, regardless of speciousness, if you attach the magic "safety" word to it.

Yup, I can see that. There's another law that I'm not allowed to have a fence within 75 feet of the corner. Supposedly to keep the view of the cross streets safe.

But you should see how many of the corners aren't visible because of bushes. :eh:

jimpeel

Yup, I can see that. There's another law that I'm not allowed to have a fence within 75 feet of the corner. Supposedly to keep the view of the cross streets safe.

But you should see how many of the corners aren't visible because of bushes. :eh:

Those are usually rules set up by HOAs called "clear vision" or "line of sight" areas which are supposed to be free of obstructions to cross traffic.

It also seems to be the least enforced rule.

greenfreak

Like this? :D

corner_111708_16.jpg

But, should I or my neighbor put a fence there... Well. That would be a problem. I have to admit, I do like that no one in my town is allowed to have a fence around their front yard.

jimpeel

Like this? :D

corner_111708_16.jpg

But, should I or my neighbor put a fence there... Well. That would be a problem. I have to admit, I do like that no one in my town is allowed to have a fence around their front yard.

Holy shit! Do you live on my street? :)

The HOAs usually have a rule that there will be no fenceline which comes past the front line of the dwelling. Bushes, yes. Low walls, yes. Planters, maybe.

greenfreak

Holy shit! Do you live on my street? :)

The HOAs usually have a rule that there will be no fenceline which comes past the front line of the dwelling. Bushes, yes. Low walls, yes. Planters, maybe.

Maybe... Do you live in NY? ;) When we drove around this neighborhood the first time, it seemed so... friendly. I didn't make the connection till later that it was the lack of fences. It really makes the houses seem more approachable.

I found out that my corner is a school bus stop. I'm going to make the most of that, remove everything to the left of that orangey yellow tree in the pic (that's the Black Cherry) and put in some kind of low planting. Maybe even a bench for the parents and kids.

jimpeel

Maybe... Do you live in NY? ;) When we drove around this neighborhood the first time, it seemed so... friendly. I didn't make the connection till later that it was the lack of fences. It really makes the houses seem more approachable.

I found out that my corner is a school bus stop. I'm going to make the most of that, remove everything to the left of that orangey yellow tree in the pic (that's the Black Cherry) and put in some kind of low planting. Maybe even a bench for the parents and kids.

Just joking. I live in CO but the end of my street looks similar but with fewer large trees. The sign at the entrance of the tract says "A Covenant Protected Community" but the HOA, as I stated in an earlier post, tends to ignore the "clear vision" regs.

jimpeel

wasn't there a similar sign in front of the branch davidian compound?

Now see? There is an excellent example of facetiousness which didn't need a bunch of smilies to flag everyone that it is meant in humor; AND it was damned funny.