Zero tolerance = zero brains

jimpeel

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080310/ap_on_re_us/t_shirt_gun

Boy punished for T-shirt with gun image
Mon Mar 10, 1:29 PM ET

LANCASTER, Pa. - The family of a middle school student who was given detention for wearing a T-shirt bearing the image of a gun has filed a federal freedom of speech lawsuit against the school district.

Donald Miller III, 14, went to Penn Manor High School in December wearing a T-shirt he said was intended to honor his uncle, a U.S. Army soldier fighting in Iraq.

The shirt bears the image of a military sidearm and on the front pocket says "Volunteer Homeland Security." On the back, over another image of the weapon, are the words "Special issue Resident Lifetime License — United States Terrorist Hunting Permit — Permit No. 91101 — Gun Owner — No Bag Limit."

Officials at the Millersville school told him to turn his shirt inside out. When Miller refused, he got two days of detention.

His parents, Donald and Tina Miller of Holtwood, have accused the Penn Manor School District in a lawsuit of violating their son's First Amendment rights with a "vague Orwellian policy" that stifles both patriotism and free speech.

But an attorney for the school district said school must create a safe environment for students in the post-Columbine era, and bringing even the image of a gun to school violates the district's policy.

"There's a much higher level of sensitivity these days," Penn Manor attorney Kevin French said. "But it's based on reality."

The lawsuit was filed in January. A federal judge will hold a conference on the case March 31.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
school must create a safe environment for students in the post-Columbine era, and bringing even the image of a gun to school violates the district's policy

Has anyone ever gotten shot by a picture?

I wonder, can he wear a potleaf t-shirt?
How about a rainbow flag?

Inkara1

Pot leaf? I can absolutely guarantee the answer to that one is no. Rainbow? Possibly... but the consequences from the other students might be a lot worse than anything the administration could dole out.

jimpeel

Pot leaf? I can absolutely guarantee the answer to that one is no. Rainbow? Possibly... but the consequences from the other students might be a lot worse than anything the administration could dole out.

So while someone cannot be physically harmed by a picture of a firearm they most certainly could be physically harmed by a picture of a rainbow.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Okay...question...Who was offended/threatened by the shirt? Someone who was 'snapped' by wet towels in the gym as a child or summat? Thats the only way that shirt could be classified as dangerous...

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Oh, yeah...before I forget...the legal aspect. How does this impact upon Freedom of Speech? Junior is not an adult, and, if warranted, the school can always claim that he was not properly attired. Remember...students have only limited free speech rights...

2minkey

bootlicker
so you think jimmy would be fine with, say, a fag-oriented t-shirt? or something that showed jesus in, well, virtually any kind of weird way?

2minkey

bootlicker
i don't think we need god to help us discern obvious patterns. think that's why we got that melon with the brains inside.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Come now, we all know that the confederate flag t-shirt represents the hate-filled racist south & a picture of a gun represents a hate filled racisct white guy.

How about a God hates Fags t-shirt? A Fags hate God t-shirt?

catocom

the schools around here won't even let the kids were a plain white t-shirt.
They say it's a sign of the skin-heads.

Dumbasses...
So apparently Anything a known gang member wears is not acceptable.

Might as well require the uniforms, and wave a communist flag.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
the schools around here won't even let the kids were a plain white t-shirt.
They say it's a sign of the skin-heads.

Dumbasses...
So apparently Anything a known gang member wears is not acceptable.

Might as well require the uniforms, and wave a communist flag.
flag waving it prohibited, you could put someones eye out.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
One way around the shirt bans

Our walking tax deduction attends a high school which proudly bears the Rebel mascot. A miniscule faction of transplants have tried (unsuccessfully so far) to have that changed, and to ban any clothing/accessories with the battle flag on them. The WTD wears a few of them, and carries a purse emblazened with the battle flag. She has been instructed that if ever she is called to the office over any of these items, she is to call me personally and immediately. If this ever happens, that little tiff back in 1861 is gonna look minor. But if she is ever told she cannot wear her shirts, I will that very night purchase one of these for every day of the week for her to wear. I have already secured the telephone number of an attorney who takes these cases exclusively, and has never lost a case yet. The thumbnails may be clicked to enlarge the image so all the words may be read.

spike

Has anyone ever gotten shot by a picture?

I wonder, can he wear a potleaf t-shirt?
How about a rainbow flag?

Or a mohawk.

Oh, wait you were against that one. Sorry, I accidentally pointed out your hypocrisy again.