Zimbabwe Seizes U.S.-Registered Plane

Professur

Source

HARARE, Zimbabwe - Zimbabwean authorities have seized a U.S.-registered cargo plane carrying 64 "suspected mercenaries" and military equipment, the Home Affairs minister said Monday.

The Boeing 727-100 was detained at Harare's main airport late Sunday after its owners allegedly made "a false declaration of its cargo and crew," Home Affairs Minister Kembo Mohadi said at a news briefing.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Oh shit, we got some Rangers missing? Delta Force? Seals? Or just crazy fuckers with guns...

AlphaTroll

I'd not be surprised if it's got nothing to do with what was on the plain, but more with Mugabe's efforts to erradicate any 'Western' presence in Zimbabwe. The arms that were found aboard will find its way to the Zimbabwean armed forces or most probably to the so-called war veterans, who in most cases are young boys who have never fought in any wars (the 'war veterans' who actually have right to lay claim to such a title were the ones who fought mainly in the war of the 70's - 80's against South Africa). They are nothing more than murderers who enforce a reign of terror on white farm owners in Zimbabwe and MDC supporters.

The Zimbabwean government will no doubt find a way to blame the presence of the aircraft as well as the 'missionaries' aboard on the MDC and their so-called attempts to overthrow the government or get rid of Mugabe.

Whether or not the plain does belong to the US or were indeed carrying missionaries, the Zimbabwean government will not hesitate to detain those people without fair hearing and will likely use them as an example and warning to Western societies to stay out of Zimbabwe.

Hopefully an issue like this will highlight the atrocities of Mugabe's reign or at least create some sort of international awareness that something needs to be done.

Gotnolegs

AlphaTroll said:
I'd not be surprised if it's got nothing to do with what was on the plain, but more with Mugabe's efforts to erradicate any 'Western' presence in Zimbabwe. The arms that were found aboard will find its way to the Zimbabwean armed forces or most probably to the so-called war veterans, who in most cases are young boys who have never fought in any wars (the 'war veterans' who actually have right to lay claim to such a title were the ones who fought mainly in the war of the 70's - 80's against South Africa). They are nothing more than murderers who enforce a reign of terror on white farm owners in Zimbabwe and MDC supporters.

The Zimbabwean government will no doubt find a way to blame the presence of the aircraft as well as the 'missionaries' aboard on the MDC and their so-called attempts to overthrow the government or get rid of Mugabe.

Whether or not the plain does belong to the US or were indeed carrying missionaries, the Zimbabwean government will not hesitate to detain those people without fair hearing and will likely use them as an example and warning to Western societies to stay out of Zimbabwe.

Hopefully an issue like this will highlight the atrocities of Mugabe's reign or at least create some sort of international awareness that something needs to be done.

All he has to do is call them terrorists and then he can lock them up for as long as he likes.

Gotnolegs

AlphaTroll said:
He does that anyway, anyone from a Western country is a terrorist in his eyes.

Which is a shame, because after the precedent that's been set he can't really get into trouble for it and there's little I'd like more than to see that murdering bastard get taken down.

chcr

Too cute for words

They're only atrocities if there is oil in Zimbabwe. I thought everyone knew that.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
I bet they got something we could use. Maybe some wind, you know it is a changing world...

AlphaTroll

Actually Zimbabwe used to be one of the world's biggest maize & wheat exporters - used to be referred to as the Breadbasket of Africa. They also have rich gold, copper, platinum and iron mines - so there's plenty of spoils to take ;)

GNL - yes a precedent has been set, but Mugabe's actions are more in line with Saddam Husein's than anyone else's.

Gotnolegs

AlphaTroll said:
GNL - yes a precedent has been set, but Mugabe's actions are more in line with Saddam Husein's than anyone else's.

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying in anyway to justify or defend his actions. I still think that the situation there should never have been allowed to develop the way it has. The British government contributed to a lot of the problems and should have stepped in to try and solve them. Mugabe is a murdering tyrant and the sooner he is removed from power the better. IMHO Zimbabwe is where the british forces should have been sent, not Iraq.

My point was that if it is ok for the US to hold prisoners without any form of legal justification then it is ok for him. Of course I believe it isn't ok for anyone but that's a whole other thread...

AlphaTroll

I knew you were referring to Guantanamo Beach, which is why I said he's rather like Saddam (hoping to make people see how dangerous this guy is).

Unfortunately there are no WMD's to speak of, so US intervention will probably not be forthcoming, but as I have said before - Bush used the human rights abuses and crimes against humanity as an eventual excuse for Iraq, what Mugabe is doing is the same, if not worse.

I agree that British forces should have been sent to Zim, after all a lot of the people there still keep their British passports - they are still British citizens, so Blair should rather have listened to their (constant) requests for assistance rather than send troops to Iraq. It bugs me that he thinks sanctions and throwing Zim out of the Common Wealth is enough - it's not going to address any of the problems. Mugabe doesn't give two hoots about not being allowed to travel to any CW country - he doesn't WANT to go there, so where's the punishment in that?

Gotnolegs

AlphaTroll said:
I knew you were referring to Guantanamo Beach, which is why I said he's rather like Saddam (hoping to make people see how dangerous this guy is).

Unfortunately there are no WMD's to speak of, so US intervention will probably not be forthcoming, but as I have said before - Bush used the human rights abuses and crimes against humanity as an eventual excuse for Iraq, what Mugabe is doing is the same, if not worse.

I agree that British forces should have been sent to Zim, after all a lot of the people there still keep their British passports - they are still British citizens, so Blair should rather have listened to their (constant) requests for assistance rather than send troops to Iraq. It bugs me that he thinks sanctions and throwing Zim out of the Common Wealth is enough - it's not going to address any of the problems. Mugabe doesn't give two hoots about not being allowed to travel to any CW country - he doesn't WANT to go there, so where's the punishment in that?

I thought we hadn't even done that, Iirc we suspended Zim from the commonwealth and he then pulled out completely. In all honesty I think he was looking for a reason to pull out and make it seem like it was the UK's fault.

AlphaTroll

Gotnolegs said:
I thought we hadn't even done that, Iirc we suspended Zim from the commonwealth and he then pulled out completely. In all honesty I think he was looking for a reason to pull out and make it seem like it was the UK's fault.

Zim was suspended from the Commonwealth and sanctions were placed on Mugabe and certain of his cabinet members which prohibit them from travelling to CW countries. The suspension from the CW has just been renewed as far as I know. IMO they should also be suspended from the AU completely.

You know what I find rather amusing in a not funny at all way - SA was suspended from the CW and UN, we had worldwide sanctions placed on us and were totally isolated on all grounds, from sport to exports, as punishment for apartheid. Yet the world has not seen fit to take these same measures against any other country, including Iraq, Afghanistan, Zimbabwe, Libiya or even Australia, who's Aborriginal laws were only suspended in 2000 if I'm not mistaken - despite the fact that they have laws and practices which are the same as what our apartheid laws were.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Gotnolegs said:
All he has to do is call them terrorists and then he can lock them up for as long as he likes.

He doesn't even need to call it terrorism.

AlphaTroll

Turns out the plain had no US citizens aboard and no longer belong to the US either. It has been sold to a British company based in SA and the passengers were 20 South Africans and a few from Zambia, one Zimbabwean and I think some from hana and Congo. Apparently they were en route to a mining expidition in the DRC.