100 great british 'heroes'

ris

the bbc has been running a public vote to find 100 great british 'heroes' of all time. i watched it last night and was appaled at the calibre of the choices the public made.

in the top 100 are recent hereos david beckham :retard:, robbie williams :retard: :retard: michael crawford [oo betty] :retard: :retard: :retard:, jk rowling :retard: :retard:, :retard: :retard:, and princess di :rolleyes:

not on the list are some of the most elegant and important artists; william wordsworth, jw turner, constable, gainsborough [etc] and yet we have an inceasingly vapid celebrity core whose achievements are virtually zero.

harry potter writer jk rowling over wordworth?? no marlowe even, one of the finest contemporaries of shakespeare.

i am saddened by the list, and just hope to the heavens that churchill, kindom brunel, newton or shakespeare win the final 10 vote for greatest briton and not that vapid bimbo diana.

just goes to show that most people here really are a dumb as i feared they are

no mick but at least he has some longevity and creativity as opposed to that miming twat robbie williams. pretty he may be but not a great hero.

he makes nice music sometimes...but he's no hero. that's for sure.

The Rolling Stones are though. They influenced music SO much

I swear I was typing that before I saw your post.

Ringo always was kind of a black sheep though, he was British, wasn't he?

i think he was left out for the thomas the tank-engine voice overs. too many parents had to watch it over and over and over with their kids. :D

Yeah, and Paul, John, and George were just in it for the LSD? :p

I know, they've did a little more with themselves, but the Beatles were all four, the major impact they made was as a group, not individuals.

This is indeed odd, Freddie Mercury?

Unknown Soldier, Nice try, but tasteless in my opinion.

Thomas Paine, but not John Locke??

It's really a weird list, isn't it? Johnny Rotten and Alfred the Great... :rolleyes:

I think the modern world has lost any notion that there might be a difference between being a hero and being well-known.

Ardsgaine said:
Thomas Paine, but not John Locke??

It's really a weird list, isn't it? Johnny Rotten and Alfred the Great... :rolleyes:

I think the modern world has lost any notion that there might be a difference between being a hero and being well-known.
Agreed.

I'm not sure how the term 'hero' should be interpreted anyway. We use it in disparate ways. It can indicate someone who's done something courageous, it could mean someone who's been very influential in a certain area, or it could mean someone who is worthy of admiration. If I were going to make a list of heroes, I would pick the latter definition. It takes in the other two in most respects, but weeds out people who have been influential in bad ways. Even still, that leaves you with people who might have been admirable in some ways, while being reprehensible in others.

PuterTutor said:
This is indeed odd, Freddie Mercury?

Unknown Soldier, Nice try, but tasteless in my opinion.

i would have thought that immediately too but the descriptive piece on it was quite thought provoking. the 'unknown warrior' of britain of the first world war came to signify the hero's that flanders has yet to yeild.
when the memorial was unveiled it was a moment of great emotive outporuing the uk at a time when the war was still trying to be forgotten.

as for freddie mercury, his importance as one of the first openly gay celebrities to die from aids i am certain got him in. although he was born in south africa i think

I can see that, ris, it just seems odd to me to put that there. I guess especially with the company he is keeping.

I was speaking of the Unknown Soldier, not Freddie, IMO, Freddie doesn't deserve to be on the list at all, I mean, I like his music and all, but a Hero? Not.

Back