1001 Linux Questions... How do I...

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
There is something to be said for having to answer "Are you sure?" twice before it lets you fuck everything up.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
cubcake1 said:
The more I read Linux issues, the more I love Windows. No need to log in as root here...and if you did have to, it would just be some sort of doubleclick on the desktop...LOL

you sure?, try to install software or format your hard drive when logged as guest :rolleyes:

Just in case you don't know, you can log in automatically as root in Linux too.

chcr

Too cute for words
Yeah, Luis, I agree. i don't log in as administrator in win2K either. Don't get me wrong, cubcake. I think windows finally got it right with 2K, I like it fine (not too fond of XP, though). But I'm an old UNIX guy too, that's what got me started on Linux. Plus, I don't game. My favorite thing to do with a computer is figure out how everything works. That's easier when thy publish the source code.

cubcake1

Right on with the linux and unix crew, wish i knew as much. My beef with the whole computer thing has been this, the computer books written and the instructions given for any particular thing delaing with computer looks like it was written in chinese, when come to find out there are simple directions for simple minds (like mine) to do the same thing. And unless you were part of the GEEK ELITE, there were no answers for you. Someone made the jump for us UNDERGEEKS and authored the "DUMMIES" series.

Geek speak: information about the blah blah blah blah , such as who authorized the certificate, its public keys, and its expiration information. Blah blah blah blah certifying authority (CA), such as VeriSign, GTE, or AT&T. As a user, you can look at who certified the object and decide whether to download and run the object. It is most important that you trust the certifier, or you could end up with someone maliciously infecting blah blah blah blah blah blah.....

Normal human speak : Right click My computer.

This is just an example, not correct of course but you know what I am talking about.

KISS for me. (Keep It Simple Stupid) Im just a squirrel tryin to get a nut. :)

chcr

Too cute for words
Yes, I do know what you mean. My first "personal" com;uter was a TRS80. It would run about four programs, and it had three binders full of instructions. I added RAM (up to 64K if I remember right) and bought a spreadsheet and a graphics program, got three more huge binders. Oh, and a key that had to stay plugged into the back for the graphics program, very first thing I ever hacked. It was ridiculous how much reading you had to do to find out that dir would tell you what was on one of those 5-1/4 inch floppies (they really were floppy). Believe it or not, it's gotten a lot better.

Aunty Em

I just picked up a couple of books that the library were selling off... they do this regularly with books which don't get out much:

Sams Teach Yourself Linux in 10 minutes - Quick steps for fast results. There are 20 basic 10 min lessons teaching you the basics of how it works, command line ref, etc.

and

Unix for Dummies - Quick command reference - because Linux is based on Unix and it may be useful...

for £1.50 ($2.40)... Now that's what I call a bargain... :)

chcr

Too cute for words
Aunty Em said:
Unix for Dummies - Quick command reference - because Linux is based on Unix and it may be useful...
Just remember that a unix command that starts with "sh" will generally start with "bash" in Linux.

chcr

Too cute for words
Good. I think it's hilarious that bash is an acronym for Bourne Again Shell. :lol: