17 year wannabe locusts

Man Becomes Ill After Gorging on Cicadas

Mon May 17, 3:07 PM ET

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. - A man who cooked and ate nearly 30 cicadas sought medical treatment after suffering a strong allergic reaction to the sauteed insects.

The man showed up at a Bloomington clinic Thursday covered from head-to-toe in hives, and sheepishly told a doctor he'd caught and ate the cicadas after sauteing them in butter with crushed garlic and basil.

"He said they didn't taste too bad, but his wife didn't care for the aroma," said Dr. Al Ripani, the doctor who treated the man at Promptcare East.

The man, who has a history of asthma and shellfish allergies, suffered a "significant allergic reaction," after eating the cicadas, Ripani said.

He said he gave the man antihistamines, steroids and a shot of adrenaline, then observed him for two hours before sending him home.

After living underground for 17 years and feeding on tree roots, the so-called Brood X cicadas are emerging by the billions across the Eastern U.S.

Ripani said recent newspaper articles extolling the tastiness of cicada cuisine should have warned people that dining on the bugs can be dangerous for some people.

"Severe food allergies such as this can be fatal," he said. "I feel that needs to be stressed in these articles."

He said the University of Maryland's department of entomology's Cicada-licious cookbook, which includes recipes for Cicada Stir-Fry and Cicada Dumplings, contains a disclaimer urging people to consult a doctor before eating cicadas.

"We ask that you please take special caution if you have other food allergies, such as soy, nuts or shellfish, or if you know of any contact allergies that you may have to other insects," it states.

Cicada-licious: Cooking and Enjoying Periodical Cicadas: www.urhome.umd.edu/newsdesk/pdf/cicada recipes.PDF

:retard:

After reading everything else... I was going to respond to this.

"Except for one or two little spots in Canada, they are found only in the United States, nowhere else in the world," Clay said.

Does he mean just the brood x? I was going to say, why do japanese anime always have cicadas chirping if they aren't found anywhere else in the world? he must have meant just brood x or something.

Oh yeah, I have a can of death... but it's really hard to get so I can't share. sorry.

But you don't blenderize the souls, that would make your death too gooey to spray. :devious:

Although, if you wanted to use the blender, you could spray in a little PAM, but then your death would be flammable. flammable death isn't bad per se. But you have to be careful not to get any on you. :p

[size=-2]ok, i'll stop now.[/size]

Back