21st Century Atheist.

Lopan

I read this article and it really hits a note with me. What do you think?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The 21st century atheist

Not believing in God is no excuse for being virulently anti-religious or naively pro-science

Dylan Evans
Monday May 2, 2005
The Guardian

There are many species of atheism, just as there are many species of religion. But while many religions still thrive, most of the atheisms that have ever existed are now extinct.
The non-religious person today is, therefore, rather like a person who wanders into a shop to buy a breakfast cereal and finds only one variety is for sale. Moreover, this variety isn't very tasty, because the kind of atheism that flourishes today is old and tired.

Today's prominent atheists - people such as Jonathan Miller and Richard Dawkins - hawk around a belief system that reeks of the 19th century, which is not surprising, for that is when it was born. Dawkins is virulently anti-religious, passionately pro-science and artistically illiterate - thus manifesting all three of the main characteristics of the old atheism in a particularly pure form. His attacks on religion are so vitriolic and bad-tempered that they alienate the sensitive reader and give atheism a bad name. As a friend of mine once commented, no other atheist has done more for the cause of religion than Richard Dawkins.
Isn't it about time that atheists tried to imagine what some other forms of atheism might look like? Not in the hope of replacing one orthodoxy with another, but simply in order to challenge other atheists to imagine still more ways of being nonreligious - to encourage them to construct their own forms of atheism, rather than buying a ready-made version off the shelf.

Atheism should be more like a set of Lego blocks than a pre-assembled toy. The challenge and the opportunity that it offers is that of constructing one's own personal philosophy of life, a philosophy that is not put together according to any set of instructions handed down from on high.

As a way of kicking off the debate, let me outline my own variety. It would be a travesty if I were to pretend that this is the only worthwhile kind. But I do think it is more appropriate for the 21st century. My kind of atheism takes issue with the old atheism on all three of its main tenets: it values religion; treats science as simply a means to an end; and finds the meaning of life in art.

When I say that I value religion, I don't mean that I see any truth in the stories about gods, devils, souls and saviours. But I do think there is one respect in which religion is more truthful than science - in its depiction of the long ing for transcendent meaning that lies in man's heart. No scientific theory has ever done justice to this longing, and in this respect religions paint more faithful pictures of the human mind. My kind of atheism sees religions as presenting potent metaphors and images to represent human aspirations for transcendence. It is only when these metaphors are understood as such, and not mistaken for literal statements, that the true value of religion is revealed.

Here is a parable to explain what I mean: once upon a time, a talented artist painted a picture of a beautiful landscape on the wall of his house. People came from all around to see the picture. It was so beautiful that they would spend whole days staring at it.

Led on by wishful thinking, some people even began to forget that they were looking at a painting, and came to believe that the wall was a window. So the artist removed one of the bricks in the wall, allowing the illusory nature of the painting to become clear.

Some of those who had mistaken the painting for reality were upset to have their illusion shattered. But the wise ones thanked the artist profusely. "By revealing the fictitious nature of this landscape," they said, "you have allowed us to appreciate the beauty of your art."

I think the best way to think about religion is to see it like the painting in this parable. In other words, religions are beautiful things, but their beauty can only be truly appreciated when they are seen as human creations - as works of art.

Atheists who attack religions for painting a false picture of the world are as unsophisticated and immature as religious believers, who mistake the picture for reality. The only mature attitude to religion is to see it for what it is - a kind of art, which only a child could mistake for reality, and which only a child would reject for being false.

· Dylan Evans is senior lecturer in intelligent autonomous systems at the University of the West of England and author of Placebo: The Belief Effect www.dylan.org.uk

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
I think he's full of BS.

Atheism is just not believing in deities (I wonder if the guy actually looked for the roots of the word), anything extra is of your own, and is not to be classified as part of being atheist.

Lopan

I think thats what he's saying? You take a bit from here and a bit from there to build your own philosophies.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I agree with it. Atheism may be about lack of belief but a huge number of atheists have turned it into a form of dogma. They use it to vehicle to hate religion instead of just being a word describing their lack of belief.

chcr

Too cute for words
Luis G said:
I think he's full of BS.

Atheism is just not believing in deities (I wonder if the guy actually looked for the roots of the word), anything extra is of your own, and is not to be classified as part of being atheist.

Most people believe that you should believe exactly what they believe, even atheists. As you say though, atheism is simply the belief that there are no deities. Anything else is personal philosophy. I think the various "species" of atheism result from the primal need to belong to a group. :shrug:

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Lopan said:
I think thats what he's saying? You take a bit from here and a bit from there to build your own philosophies.

erm, no?

Dawkins is virulently anti-religious, passionately pro-science and artistically illiterate - thus manifesting all three of the main characteristics of the old atheism in a particularly pure form.

And then he targets the atheists that attack religions, and he crowns himself by telling the only and absolute truth (in bold) :lol:
Atheists who attack religions for painting a false picture of the world are as unsophisticated and immature as religious believers, who mistake the picture for reality. The only mature attitude to religion is to see it for what it is - a kind of art, which only a child could mistake for reality, and which only a child would reject for being false.

It really doesn't ring any bells for me, when giving your opinion about the right set of qualities and philosophy of any given religion you're stepping on the thin ice. What does atheism means? not beliving in deities, and that's it. You either abide by the term or you're not atheist (which is why I don't call myself an atheist anymore).

Lopan

This echoes my philosophy on religion.

My kind of atheism sees religions as presenting potent metaphors and images to represent human aspirations for transcendence. It is only when these metaphors are understood as such, and not mistaken for literal statements, that the true value of religion is revealed

chcr

Too cute for words
IMO, transcendence implies, if not deity, at least a level of spirituality that closely resembles it. Can't buy that either. :shrug: