360 on a skateboard ?

You are in Canada right? Get the kid a hockey stick and mask. He can either be a national hero or someone's nightmare. :D

Nixy said:
The skateboard always wants to move at a tangent to it's current position. Demostrate this by spinning a ball attached to a string around and around on the floor (very smooth floor). Spin it very fast and let go. It should then go in a straight line as soon as you let go (because there is no gravity since it's on the floor ONLY the force which makes to move at a tangent is present).

The skateboard wants to do this exact same thing when it's moving the the 360 circle. Gravity is also acting on it though so it can not.

So, the skateboard going in the circle is like the ball being spun on the floor and let go (it wants to go straight out) and also like something being dropped (it wants to go down). The is why it moves in a circle. It wants to go straight down and straight out at the same time so it tries to do both and ends up moving in a circle.

You don't skate, do you? :D

I don't either, but "a 360" is an ollie with a full turn in the air i.e. you land pointing in the direction you were facing when you ollied. Thing is, that's virtually impossible, so a 360 isn't usually even attempted unless there's a a ramp or lip to kick off.

its a vector/impact differential lift/acceleration curve move that is defined by the youth under the collective scientific principle of 'wicked, duuude! Do that again!'

...unless you do actually mean a loop-de-loop thing, in which case shouldn't the question be "Mummy, why does't Skaterdude fall and compress his spine?".

Hopefully the physics of it will keep him from wanting to do it...I explained it to his satisfaction for now...with great difficulty.

today it was the lowlands in the Arctic...how far do I think he could see as there are no trees there? :blank: I told him he'd have to talk to an ophthalmologist. :lol:

1.If the guy flips in the air and his speed is faster than the pull of gravity the faster push of his feet will win the fight and keep it effectively glued there. The skateboards effective weight will flux throughout the whole curve... but so long as the position of the guys feet are in the direct path of the launch/fall he should be in a position of control... so long as the other elements are met: 2. Throw in Nixs vectoring tanget of momentum principle simple Newton physics of an object under motion desiring to stay in a straight line. This would require only that the skateborders feet be on the board in a way that doesnt allow more than half of the mass of the board to hang over any given edge of the pivot point of his spread feet. This would keep the simulated falling motion firmly planted against his feet regardless of the direction. (sidebar) The stability of the mass is also affected by drag coefficients. If the guys shoes and the board face were oiled glass, the amount of sideways momentum requred to cause a slippage to the outside of the rotation would be considerly less. That is why the board is essentially as textured as sandpaper and the riders shoes are soft compound rubber. This creates a clingy surface that wont slip sideways one iota even when the gravity fluxes greatly.. just so long as the gravity curve is leading into the riders feet... and his feet are properly spread to balance the load.. the board wont slip off or fall away.

Another aspect is that skateboards are large flat planks that act like sails. The air resistance generated by the scoop motion through the air creates an artificial impact braking motion that would increase gravity in proportion to the speed of the motion. Proportionaly less... but no less effective is the vaccum drag suction created by the remainder surface on the trailing edge not covered by the riders feet.

Its vaccum lift combined with impact lift combined with balance and drag cooeficients, vectors, acceleration, and gravity all with a dash of Issac Newton mass movent principle.

Leslie said:
Hopefully the physics of it will keep him from wanting to do it...I explained it to his satisfaction for now...with great difficulty.

today it was the lowlands in the Arctic...how far do I think he could see as there are no trees there? :blank: I told him he'd have to talk to an ophthalmologist. :lol:
If its relatively flat terrian and clear air I think youre supposed tobe able to see about 12 miles.. erm... 19 some odd km. I'll have to look it up.

ok... two, six foot tall people on level ground can see each other to a range of 6.9 miles. The same person looking at a 14 ft tall object (such as a one story house) increases the sight range to 8.7 miles. One person standing on the ground loking at another person at a height of 100 feet would have a sight range of 17.6 miles.

...and just for the girls in Hawaii: someone on the top of Mauna Kea on the Big Island looking for an object at sea level, such as a person standing in a yacht offshore would have a co horizon of 169.7 miles.

wow, 19km :eek:

that was a good explanation, but it was too many big words this morning...have to come back to it :gmorning:

Its 11.1 km ... but only if your two people are just shy of 2 meters tall. Your kids would have a much shorter distance because of how short they are right now.

still far...but I think we won't be going there anyway... so it's kind of moot :D

he's gonna have to get himself a good job to go all the places he wants to go.

Hes going to have to be a stripper and shake that looney magnet booty for all of the howling batchelorette parties and rich lonely dowagers. You need to get him an abdominizer so he can start working on those cheesegrater abs.

:rofl2:

:cocktail: that'd prolly be a good career choice for him in his twenties, money for nothin' and the chicks for free :lol:

Get him a pair of crutches and make him use them for a whole day. Explain to him that he will need them after breaking kneecaps on skateboard so he might as well get used to them. :D

I know there are some talented people on skateboards but if a kid asks his mom how to do it then he probably has no business with one. These daredevil types just go out and do it without asking anyone how to do anything. They break their necks first and ask questions later.

i used to skate i havent done it in years and i never did any tricks. if theres a skate park or skate ramp near try that. you need a lot of monetum. it can be dont but not easily. and tehre is a good chance hell get hurt. ill stick with bodysurfing. break a limb and dont even notice :D

Bubba said:
Get him a pair of crutches and make him use them for a whole day. Explain to him that he will need them after breaking kneecaps on skateboard so he might as well get used to them. :D

I know there are some talented people on skateboards but if a kid asks his mom how to do it then he probably has no business with one. These daredevil types just go out and do it without asking anyone how to do anything. They break their necks first and ask questions later.

He wasn't looking for how to actually do it, I don't think he's interested in the slightest, he'd seen Tony Hawk on t.v. and he wanted to know the physics of how it can be that it's up in the air with nothing holding it up really...:retard: I had to have a smart kid, didn't I. :blank:

Back