8 different flavors of Windows Vista

Kruz

I wonder what the pricing will be?

Because choices are good? Or because there would be more money to be milked? Perhaps the victims of having 8 different flavors of Windows Vista are the software vendors, who would have to explain the differences between each edition to their customers.

Here’s a quick rundown of the 8 product editions:

Windows Starter 2007 - This edition does not include the Aero graphical user interface, hence it’s not Vista-branded. And there’s no 64-bit edition, no networking, no Fast User Switching, no DVD Authoring, no gaming common controller support, and no image editing with enhanced touchup, and only three applications/windows are allowed to run simultaneously. Good only for really basic users with low budgets.

Windows Vista Home Basic - This is the true baseline version of Windows Vista; think Windows XP Home Edition. You can expect to find features such as Windows Firewall, Windows Search, Photo Library and etc. And every other edition below will be based on this edition. Good for general consumers or even the kids.

Windows Vista Home Basic N - Same as the Home Basic Edition, but minus the Windows Media Player. This edition is for the Europeans as they have antitrust rulings against Microsoft which does not allow the player to be bundled.

Windows Vista Home Premium - This edition includes features such as Media Center Extender support, Cable Card support, DVD authoring and Tablet PC functionality. This edition is best suited for notebooks and networked home desktops, but it’s probably insufficient for the geeks.

Windows Vista Business - Analogous to the Windows XP Professional, this will probably be the most widely used edition in corporate environments. This edition allows joining of domains, non-Microsoft networking (Netware, etc), Remote Desktop and Microsoft Windows Web Server. Most geeks and IT professionals will want to go for this edition.

Windows Vista Business N - Just like Home Basic N Edition, this one is meant for the Europeans and comes with no media player.

Windows Vista Enterprise - This edition will come with several new features such as Virtual PC, multi-language user interface (MUI) and Secure Startup (BitLocker Drive Encryption).

Windows Vista Ultimate - This one is going to be the most expensive, most feature-packed, and perhaps the most pirated edition :la: of Vista. It’ll include new and unique features such as Game Performance Tweaker, Podcast creation utility, online “Club” services and privileged product support. This edition will be perfect for Windows fanboys.

I just want the version that doesn't make ask Bills permission to change my hardware.

Inkara1 said:
XP Pro has never asked me permission to change my hardware.

I think he means that he doesn't wanna have to re-register with each hardware change...cause windows sees it as a new computer...or something like that.

Right... XP Pro has never made me re-register whenever I've changed my hardware... although all I've changed since I got XP Pro that I can remember is my video card and DVD burner.

I have the XP Pro corporate (legal) also & have never registered. I need to find a friend at IU to get a legal copy of Vista (that doesn't make me ask Bills permission) for $5.

the only 3 "legal" copies of windows I have owned were...
Windows95= purchased in August of 95
Windows XP Pro = Came with my notebook September 05
Windows XP Home = came with my wife's notebook September 05
sorry to be blunt but I have no problems using anything I can download from the internet... :worm:

I think I'll stick with whichever comes with the next laptop I buy, I'll tweak it to make it work like a superior version anyway.

Heh yeah Durn it !

Actually this did lose them a customer.
I've been dreaming of an early Christmas
being the first in line to pay whatever price
asked to get a legit copy (first in years)
and shelling out hundreds more for hardware upgrades
to be able to run it.

fuck this

Billy just stole my presents from under the tree.

I'm gonna scrape up a beta version and run it on my
shiity hardware and get a cracked version when (if)
he gets the product out the door in 2007

*sniff*

Hell I can always go the Luddite way and run XP Pro SP-II
and this pirate copy of Office 03 forever!

damn you Billy, ya grinch mutha!

catocom said:
I'm doing my best to be "total" Linux, before xp is out of the service range.

And how are you doing?
Regular office user or power user? :D

4 out of 6 on Linux
Not much office stuff.....
Music (mp3), web serving on lan for testing, some dvd work, surfing (a lot) :D ,
and the rest is just playing.....(some html programming, light office stuff, and graphics)
I'm spending a lot of time (on and off now, and have been) setting up
different distros on different kinds of hardware setups, to see what works
best where.
Right now, Debian, and Xandros look the most promising over all IMO.
Old Redhat 7.1 on older comps like PIIs.

I don't do gaming, so I figure the transition would be easier in my case.
I've also been messing with Linux, on and off, for over 7 years, so I still
consider myself a novice, but not a noob. :nerd:

yeah well you've PLENTY of time before
that mythical service range expires, Sheesh

There tons of Win98 machines still chugging along out there…

By the time you can’t fire up your now ancient single core processor
machine with XP you’ll prolly not need a ‘puter anymore

just someone to change yer depends!

Back