8969@286/601

When coupled with the right board, DDR can truly perform at double data rate :headbang:

My KT333 board seems antiquated now that the KT400 is out and nForce2 is just around the corner :(

It was top of the line, I swear it was...

...for a few weeks, anyway

Merry Christmas to me. I just slapped in a new ti4200. No tweaks, 3dmark of 9400. Kicks the shit out of the 4k or so my GF2 GTS Pro was producing. :D

I have a question about these new vid cards that people brag about. I just bought a new Radeon 7000 with 32 mb ddr. Ok, I prolly could of done better for $50, but this card seems plenty good enough for me.

Is all the speed in a video card really needed or is it just for bragging rights? It seems to me that some of the cards out for around 50 bucks are decent enough to do most of things that the average computer user might want to do.

In most cases, you're right. Not, however, if you're a gamer.

The reason I replaced my card (GeForce 2 GTS Pro, 64 MB) was that it was occassionally hiccuping on Neverwinter nights. That game eats graphics power. Unc's 32 MB Matrox G400 never stood a chance, nor did the 32 MB ATI I just replaced in his gaming rig over here. The game was damn near unplayable.

If all you're doing is browsing and office apps, a 32 MB card might even be a little overkill.

Most of the time upgrading video cards is mainly for new features nowadays, since the speed in simple stuff like Q3 has long since been exceeded beyond the point of being playable even at maximum resolution with 4x FSAA. Some people do it just for the 3dmark score, and of course for the ability to play the next year-or-two's games.

'bout 12,000. Haven't run it for a couple of months though so I'll check again sometime.

1800+@1938MHz, Ti4400@315/720MHz.

The real advantage for me is that I'm running a LAN. Basically, every machine in the network just doubled (or more) their vid cards, for $165. I ended up retiring an old 8 MB PCI card.

Back