A car can be as dangerous as "a loaded gun,"

Yeah, right. Right up until everything goes tits up.

Speed limits are based on several things. The most important of which is human reflex. As someone who rides, I would expect you to know this already. The 'average' person takes between 2 and 4 seconds to react to input. That's how many car lengths? Increase the speed and that's supposed to go up too. Ever see it? Didn't think so. Hills, overpasses, bends .... they're all designed so that the apex is past the 4 second point. Not to mention morons overdriving their lights.

And 99% of drivers haven't got a clue what I'm talking about, or even the fact that they don't know. That's why they think they're good drivers ... and why they're so dangerous.

I was always taught 3 lengths for each second. Tends to go up an extra length every 10 MPH over 60...two for every 10MPH over 80.

Yeah, right. Right up until everything goes tits up.

Speed limits are based on several things. The most important of which is human reflex. As someone who rides, I would expect you to know this already. The 'average' person takes between 2 and 4 seconds to react to input. That's how many car lengths? Increase the speed and that's supposed to go up too. Ever see it? Didn't think so. Hills, overpasses, bends .... they're all designed so that the apex is past the 4 second point. Not to mention morons overdriving their lights.

And 99% of drivers haven't got a clue what I'm talking about, or even the fact that they don't know. That's why they think they're good drivers ... and why they're so dangerous.

I know exactly what you're saying. You're talking about stopping sight distance, reaction sight distance, etc. etc...which is what I was trying to get at with "how far you can see infront of you" but without going into too many details.

Anyone that takes 'two to four' seconds to 'react' to anything shouldn't be allowed out without supervision.

( I know I shouldn't be aggravated by dumbassed comments made here, after all this place is replete with them)

What do you think the difference in reaction time between a Formula One driver and the eighty year old guy across the street is?

I know my reactions have slowed noticeably over the years
but can be compensated for with those same years of experience.

It was most instructive to watch 19 year old Marco Andretti in his rookie season this year.

Ah, yes ... wikipedia. The source of all knowledge for people who can't find a real resource to quote.

The numbers I put up were given to me by driving instructors, and backed up with statistics collected by the Insurance Association of Canada. You'll understand that i don't have a link to the acetate they used in class. This takes into account the sensory overload most drivers encounter while driving, driver distractions, and the need to recognise an event, decide the correct course of action, and implement it (not withstanding the inherent delays incurred by the actual mechanical resistance of the car).

That's a long way from "push the red button when you see the green light".

Oh, and Marco Andretti isn't likely to have to dodge a mattress in the middle of the track while talking on his cellphone.

Dumbass.

Ah, yes ... wikipedia. The source of all knowledge for people who can't find a real resource to quote.

We don't need no stinkin' Canadian driving instructors
to be the be all end all of authority on anything, thank you very much!

To react to a stimulus… 270 milliseconds.

Next time you are trying to drive your car
try and see how long it takes you to ‘react’
if its two to four seconds
start letting your wife drive you around
as a courtesy to your fellow citizens.

When I was younger I could talk on the cel phone
exceed the speed limit
eat a big Mac
smoke a cigarette
play air guitar to the stereo
and flip off the driver next to me
and still ‘react’ to a stimulus
ya know like having the seed explode and drop the cherry
from the joint I was smoking in my lap while being over the legal
limit for blood alcohol
AND still ‘react’ in less than two seconds
(course I used to fly airplanes too)

Now I’m just old and don’t do anything but drive
when I drive and bet cher ass I can get on the brakes in WAY under a
second, or turn the wheel in under seven tenths of a second
if need be. Cuz I’m paying complete and total attention!

If I was going to go 130 MPH on a public highway I’d
certainly give it my undivided attention, ya know.

Smartass!

To react to a stimulus… 270 milliseconds. (to decide on a course of action ... considerably more)

if its two to four seconds (drove for a living for 10 years:done it)

When I was younger I could talk on the cel phone(bullshit. When you were younger, they didn't have cellphones. Car phones back then operated on radio)
exceed the speed limit
eat a big Mac
smoke a cigarette
play air guitar to the stereo
and flip off the driver next to me
and still ‘react’ to a stimulus
ya know like having the seed explode and drop the cherry
from the joint I was smoking in my lap while being over the legal
limit for blood alcohol
AND still ‘react’ in less than two seconds
(course I used to fly airplanes too)

Now I’m just old and don’t do anything but drive
when I drive and bet cher ass I can get on the brakes in WAY under a
second, or turn the wheel in under seven tenths of a second
if need be. Cuz I’m paying complete and total attention!

If I was going to go 130 MPH on a public highway I’d
certainly give it my undivided attention, ya know.

Smartass!

Bring your ass to the next BBQ and prove it.

The numbers I put up were given to me by driving instructors, and backed up with statistics collected by the Insurance Association of Canada. You'll understand that i don't have a link to the acetate they used in class. This takes into account the sensory overload most drivers encounter while driving, driver distractions, and the need to recognise an event, decide the correct course of action, and implement it (not withstanding the inherent delays incurred by the actual mechanical resistance of the car).

That's a long way from "push the red button when you see the green light".

Oh, and Marco Andretti isn't likely to have to dodge a mattress in the middle of the track while talking on his cellphone.

Dumbass.

For the record a standard reaction time of 2 second is used in road design (ie. time from seeing the need to stop until ones foot first hits the pedal) so you're absolutely correct. Some people react faster than that but that is the normal reaction time, it's what roads are designed for and it's the length of time everyone should assume that it's going to take them to react.

That said, don't put too much into what Winky says...it still doesn't seem like I take anywhere near 2 second to react to stuff but I know I do...since I'm not super human...it just doesn't seem like it. You're not going to convince Winky any different than he already thinks.

There ain't gonna be no stinking Bar-B-Que and if there is it'll prolly be in Canada
and I ain't gonna drive no place where it takes everyone two seconds to react to everything.

I don't have to go to a foreign country to prove I'm Superhuman,
everyone in the lower 48 already knows that!

(gotta work on Alaska and Hawaii)

To react to a stimulus… 270 milliseconds.

if its two to four seconds

The reaction time is not the issue. It's the distance the vehicle will travel based upon that reaction time.

If the vehicle in front of you starts to massively decelerate, the time it takes you to get your foot off the accelerator and onto the brake is crucial to avoid the expense of repairing the other fellows car. Even if you had the fastest reaction time on the planet, you can't bet your life on the other guy. You mentioned racing, and thats a totally different scenario.

The reaction time is not the issue. It's the distance the vehicle will travel based upon that reaction time.

If the vehicle in front of you starts to massively decelerate, the time it takes you to get your foot off the accelerator and onto the brake is crucial to avoid the expense of repairing the other fellows car. Even if you had the fastest reaction time on the planet, you can't bet your life on the other guy. You mentioned racing, and thats a totally different scenario.

There are three ingredients that add up to your total stopping distance and your vehicle’s speed is the most critical ingredient.

If you are driving at 55 miles per hour, the distance your vehicle travels from the time your eyes see a problem until your brain knows about the problem is approximately 60 feet. This ingredient is considered your perception time.

The distance you will travel from the time your brain tells your foot to move from the accelerator until your foot pushes the brake is considered your reaction time. Reaction time at this speed accounts for an additional 60 feet.

Lastly, the distance it takes to stop your vehicle once the brakes are applied is called the braking distance. On dry pavement, your braking distance at 55 miles per hour is about 150 feet.

What does this mean to you? Well, the total time it will take to bring your vehicle to a complete stop, taking perception, reaction and stopping distance into account, is 270 feet at 55 miles per hour. How far is 270 feet? Well, 270 feet is almost the length of a football field and the time it will take you to travel that 270 feet is approximately 6 seconds.

and a Triumph Bonneville

last of the blue blood greaser boys

Die.jpg

No, you're never too old to Rock'n'Roll if you're too young to die!

308? 308???? Real Ferraris have twelve cylinders.

Edit: ...and sound like it.

Back