A Clockwork Orange

Jeslek

Banned
Is a very disturbing movie. :eek:

Question: What is with the release date of 1971 in the USA and 2000 or so in the UK?

It's too damned weird. I never fully understood it & after 3 tries, don't think I want to.

It's not so hard to understand....

The frightening, chilling and tantalizing film (a morality play) raises many thematic questions and presents a thought-provoking parable: How can evil be eradicated in modern society? If the state can deprive an individual of his free will, making him 'a clockwork orange,' what does this say about the nightmarish, behavioral modification technologies of punishment and crime? Do we lose our humanity if we are deprived of the free-will choice between good and evil?

http://www.filmsite.org/cloc3.html

I read the book as well which is pretty interesting. There's so much slang in it that you have to refer to a glossary in the back. Afeter a couple chapters though it's like you picked up another language.

That's how I interpreted it when I watched 14 years ago. It may be weird but some of his images never left my mind. It's still on my top 5 list...

Gonz said:
It's too damned weird. I never fully understood it & after 3 tries, don't think I want to.

You obviously weren't stoned enough. The only time I really got it was when I was stoned off my ass, but then I don't remember what it was that I got afterward.

Squiggy said:
That seemed to lack any socially redeeming quality.

Natural Born Killers? If you need a socially redeeming quality I would look for some sort of message in the way the media handled the duo.

Gonz said:

easy. do you know what classical conditioning is?? thats what its roughly based on. read the book its better and explains it more.

AlladinSane said:
How many of you watched "Natural Born Killers"?

seen it own the dvd its one of my faves

Squiggy said:
That seemed to lack any socially redeeming quality.

actually if you look at it the way that they are saying about the media making them superstars like movie icons thats what its saying. in the end they beat the media and the system and they stop killing. they made their point.

But the movie itself is "media" glorifying the actions...I guess the whole thing is an oxymoron?, paradox?, ...?

The film played very successfully in England for nearly a year, it was then pulled from release in that country by Kubrick and Warner Brothers after a number of copy-cat crimes were blamed on the film by police, judges, and defendants. In one case a woman was raped by a gang of youths who sang "Singing in the Rain." Another case involved a savage beating by a 16 year old dressed in an Alex-like costume. This distribution restriction was lifted in March of 2000 and the film returned to wide release in England nearly 20 years after its initial run.

PuterTutor said:
You obviously weren't stoned enough. The only time I really got it was when I was stoned off my ass, but then I don't remember what it was that I got afterward.

hahaha :D

Squiggy said:
But the movie itself is "media" glorifying the actions...I guess the whole thing is an oxymoron?, paradox?, ...?

more of a paradox. it portrayed what the media does by doing it in the movie.

Back