A Crow left of the murder.

IDLEchild

Ok so after painful 2 long years without new material, Incubus is finally putting out a new full length album titled "A Crow left of the murder" and I got a chance to hear the whole album. This is what I thought of it.

I was disappointed and happy.

Happy

That the band still sounds better than 95% of the bands out there and as always Brandon displays wide range of vocals.

Mike just went crazy with the guitar on this LP. His guitar work has gotten substantially better.

Same goes for Jose and his drumming.

Dirk's departure is hardly noticible since Ben fills in the gap a lot better than expected. I was worried, since Dirk is a badass bass player (hear "Are you in" to see what I mean) that the sound of the band would fall off but Ben is a badass bass player himself.

The song Pistola.....fucking incredible song. Agrophobia....another gem

Their lyrics still actually mean something....like always, they take the less travelled road of "thoughtful lyrics" rather than screaming how "poo poo bad" this world is.

Sad...well depends on the listener really

The album is great but it is no Morning View (The album that god possibly crafted himself and gave it to them as a gift). What I mean is that the ambition of the last album is gone....the zealous and experimentation of it is all gone.

In Morning View songs like "Just a Phase"(If I had to vote for one, just one song that Truly made me think...this gets my vote) and "Aqueous Transmission" were highly ambitious tracks that had such a subtle and epicurious beauty to it and demanded a listen. It had a great quasi-blues track "Are you in" and quite possibly the best love song ever written in the least amount of words "Echo"...for all those who think they are lovers hear this song and see what I mean.

Morning View had extremely delicate songs like "mexico" (nothing but a haunting acoustic guitar with subtle violin playing and Brandon doing what he does best)

Morning view also had just plain, catchy riff songs like "circles", "Nice to know you"(this song is so fucking hard to sing, just try to recreate the exact tones Brandon sings and it has possibly the most confusing lyrics ever written).

The new album seems to have lost all of that for a trade of a new sound. The new album sounds a lot less experimental and more mature so it depends what you prefer. I liked the old style of Morning View but I am glad they choose to move on to a new sound.

D.J Kilmore is barely noticeble on this record...besides adding in a few sound effects to songs his scratching is mainly absent..he is more behind the curtains on this album.

All in all a great album that I'll hear over many, many, MANY other bands anyday. Though I still find Morning View to be their crowning achievment this is a nice step towards something new and at the end of the day my faith still remains intact in this band. The sound is more mellow and one can feel, after listening to their previous records. that they are more confident in their ability now and that they know that they are at a point in their lives where very little is hard for them to accomplish musically. I can only imagine what the 6th album will sound like.

Agreed...with the exception of the song "shaft" but it is amazing that even at that stage they were so good with their instruments.

Back