A few questions concerning death...

chcr said:
Well, I don't agree. Think you can live with it? ;)

I would say instead that survival instinct is a hard-wired response to a dangerous situation. Fear of death is specifically a fear of what comes after, whether or not you believe you know what it is. I would further argue that most if not all people on your hypothetical airplane would not cry like babies regardless of their faith or lack thereof. I've never had the opportunity to be on an airplane that was about to crash, but from what I've heard people in general are amazingly calm in such situations. There are always those who panic, but they are usually in the minority. Feel free to disagree with me, I can live with it. ;)

*Per Leslie's sig, that "think you can live with it" thing was a joke. You did understand that?*

If i couldn't live while disagreeing with you Ch i'd have been dead long ago. :D
I think we do have a blending thing going on here. There is the part that consists of a dangerous situation and there's that part of us that screams on the inside that we're not ready to leave our loved ones etc etc etc just yet. As a definition i consider both of these to be a part of the state of "fear of death". When i say crying like a baby as the plane goes down i don't necessarily mean literally. When i'm speaking in terms of fearing death i'm referring to all that surrounds it.
After all what is life worth if it's not worth living. If my life was horrible and i had no family or loved ones i think i could honestly say that i would have very little fear of death. That is, fear of missing all that i love and that makes life worth living. So, do i fear a black hole on the other side of life? Not really. Do i fear the pain that might come with my death? Somewhat. Do i fear losing my family at the point of death? Greatly. Therefor i have a pretty strong fear of death.

I think once again we are ships passing in the night.
You know, two people separated by a common language. :nuts: :D

HeXp£Øi± said:
What is fear of death but fear of lack of life.

With a deep, philosophical quote like that, I think you might appreciate this joke:

Descartes walks into a bar, and orders a beer. The bartender asks him if he wants that on the rocks. Descartes says, "I think not" ... and disappears.

Inkara1 said:
With a deep, philosophical quote like that, I think you might appreciate this joke:

Descartes walks into a bar, and orders a beer. The bartender asks him if he wants that on the rocks. Descartes says, "I think not" ... and disappears.

HEY! MUST EVERY DEEP PHILOSOPHICAL THOUGHT BE COMPLEX PSYCHOBABBLE? Lol

and here's your tomato...
tomato.gif

Take this...

A grasshopper walks into a bar. The bartender says, "We have a drink here named after you." The grasshopper says, "Bob?"

HeXp£Øi± said:
Let's break it down into the three things we know about life. Logic, fears and wants.

How do you think you will die?
How do you fear you will die?
How do you want to die?
(Try and guess how old you'll be for each one)

I think i'll die between the ages of 58-65 of heart failure.

I fear i will die from serious drug abuse within the next five years.

I want to die of natural causes between the ages of 79-85(in my sleep when my family is on vacation).

30. car accident
fall from heights or drowning
doing something I love

I dont fear death in that I think there is an afterlife of sorts. but I do have a love for being alive too

I do not eagerly await death nor do I pursue it but I am not afraid to die. I do dread the nothingness though.

Gonz said:
I do not eagerly await death nor do I pursue it but I am not afraid to die. I do dread the nothingness though.

See, that's exactly the kind of thing I don't get. If it's nothingness you'll never know it. Why would you be afraid of that. That's not meant as critcism or anything like it, Gonz. I really don't understand.

I'd like to believe in an afterlife, but science shows that near death experience is likely a chemical and electrical reaction to the body shutting down, duplicatable in high-g experiments. The only people who know for certain (or don't) are dead, and I just don't like Jonathan Edwards. :lloyd:

HeXp£Øi± said:
A grasshopper walks into a bar. The bartender says, "We have a drink here named after you." The grasshopper says, "Bob?"
A tomato right back at ya. :D

:tomato:

chcr said:
See, that's exactly the kind of thing I don't get. If it's nothingness you'll never know it. Why would you be afraid of that. That's not meant as critcism or anything like it, Gonz. I really don't understand.

Not frightened of, dreading. Obviously, if I'm dead I won't care. As a living being there is so much more to see & do and all that time (eternity) spent in a void/vacuum seems like a waste.

HeXp£Øi± said:
Let's break it down into the three things we know about life. Logic, fears and wants.

How do you think you will die?
How do you fear you will die?
How do you want to die?
(Try and guess how old you'll be for each one)

Probably from my kids putting me in an early grave.

Probably from my kids putting me in an early grave.

I try not to think about dieing, im too scared to die still.

I think it will be from some disease that resulted from not taking proper care of myself, probably within the next 25 years.

I'm afraid it will be cancer within the next 10 years.

I hope it will be with a smile on my face, flat broke, ten minutes after spending the last twenty bucks from my eight-figure lottery winnings, in a manner that makes News Of The Weird. Maybe something like a bread truck falling out of a parking garage and landing on me.

Back