A little help?

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Ok, here's the story. I bought my oldest daughters boyfriend two sticks of Ram for xmas. He's got an older E-machines that only had 32mb of Ram, so I bought two 128mb sticks off of newegg. Now heres the problem. I had thought that sdram was pretty well backward compatible, but apparently it's not. I bought pc133, his computer only has 66 fsb, so I guess this stuff won't work in it. At least I haven't been able to get it to work anyway. So, anyone out there got a couple of sticks of ram they'd like to trade for two sticks of pc133? Here's a pic of the packages and the sticks, they're brand new, not a big brand name or anything, but I think they'd be decent for pc133. The actual chips on the Ram are Symax.
Let me know if you're interested, I'd be willing to trade even amounts, mail these to you with return postage for you to mail the exchange back.

give it a day for catacom to get back online, I betcha he's interested :lloyd:

i'm pushing tipsy so let me just say how sweet it is for you to buy your daughters boyfrien d a christmas present! such a nice boy you are.

tonksy said:
i'm pushing tipsy so let me just say how sweet it is for you to buy your daughters boyfrien d a christmas present! such a nice boy you are.
He's put up with her and the rest of her family for almost two years now. He deserves much more than this.

Hmmm. Single sided stuff. That's high density RAM. That old board might not like that kind of ram. Is it seeing half of it or is it not working at all? You might need to get double sided RAM. That's the low density stuff. Older boards, like BX, LX, EX only work with low density RAM.

Sorry bud. I don't have any use for it noadays.

PT said:
He's put up with her and the rest of her family for almost two years now. He deserves much more than this.

Once you find out what he's been doing to your daughter, I want a quote of this :D

PostCode said:
Hmmm. Single sided stuff. That's high density RAM. That old board might not like that kind of ram. Is it seeing half of it or is it not working at all? You might need to get double sided RAM. That's the low density stuff. Older boards, like BX, LX, EX only work with low density RAM.

AFAIK most BX would recognize 128 sticks if they had 8 chips instead of 4.

PT, there's no problem in using pc133 on pc66 boards, sdram is backwards compatible in that aspect.

Gonz is right. They started ditching the compatiblity sometime ago. Something to do with the switch in manufacturing to DDR if I remember correctly. I read about that a few years ago but I can't remember where. It' might also have something to do with timing or a BIOS upgrade might also cure it. A bit risky on that approach though.

PostCode said:

I'm getting nothing. I see the bios screen for a split second, then the Emachines logo comes up and it freezes there.

Gonz said:
Once you find out what he's been doing to your daughter, I want a quote of this :D
I know what he does. We're pretty open about that. I'd rather know ahead of time and have them prepared than to be a Grandaddy at 35.

Forgot to mention, the stick of 32mb that came with it was actually pc100, but as Posty said, it's double sided.

Those sticks are single sided, 4 chip. They are high density. Best case senario is the system will see half of it from each stick, for a total of 128MB. :bummer:

You might try removing the old stuff first and try with only one stick of the 128 in the system. Also, it might be that the voltage is wrong. Remember that old stuff was a different voltage that the newer SDRAM.

What is the specs of the motherboard itself? Any ideas on that? Some of those E-Machines were really crudy boards and you couldn't find any kind of BIOS upgrade for them. You might try running the BIOS memory timing at it's lowest setting.

Birth control pills (both combination and progestin-only) have a
high rate of success of 92%

8% of 100000 is 8000. Not a small number by any means.

Ok, here's the story. I bought my oldest daughters boyfriend two sticks of Ram for xmas. He's got an older E-machines that only had 32mb of Ram, so I bought two 128mb sticks off of newegg. Now heres the problem. I had thought that sdram was pretty well backward compatible, but apparently it's not. I bought pc133, his computer only has 66 fsb, so I guess this stuff won't work in it. At least I haven't been able to get it to work anyway. So, anyone out there got a couple of sticks of ram they'd like to trade for two sticks of pc133? Here's a pic of the packages and the sticks, they're brand new, not a big brand name or anything, but I think they'd be decent for pc133. The actual chips on the Ram are Symax.
Let me know if you're interested, I'd be willing to trade even amounts, mail these to you with return postage for you to mail the exchange back.
That, until Gonz got self-righteous again.

Back