A message to...

bleach said:
That's the point. With all the social prejudice about nine times out of ten they aren't doing there job correctly......they are targetting the people they assume to be shoplifting.

Excuse me? Now just who are they supposed to be keeping an eye on? IT is thier job to prevent theft. The punk looking teenagers are the most likely group to steal. You really need to get a grip on reality here. Perhaps when you get older and have a business of your own, then maybe you will understand why certain groups are watched closer than others. It's not discrimination, it's smart.

I'd bet you wouldn't accept a surgeon who showed up to operate on you with flourescent hair, multiple piercings, and speaking like an eminem wannabe.....:eek5: So appearence does have indicative powers...

Squiggy said:
I'd bet you wouldn't accept a surgeon who showed up to operate on you with flourescent hair, multiple piercings, and speaking like an eminem wannabe.....:eek5: So appearence does have indicative powers...

Exactly. We may not like it but appearance matters. We are visual animals, we judge danger and threat based on visual cues and preconceptions about certain characteristics. You may be a perfectly innocent punk kid with purple hair, but 10 others just like you aren't. If you dye your hair purple, chances are you've got some angst. if you got angst, you become a social rebel. If you are a social rebel, you are more likely to steal a pack of smokes from the store. The shop owner is just weighing the odds and taking no chances.

Note that I am only speaking of personal image choices, not racial and cultural profiling here.

Squiggy said:

what about a fluorescent haired, multiply pierced, very articulate surgeon? everybody has an outlet for expression. for some it is their bodies. never judge a book by its cover. the way you speak and carry yourself are not your cover, though.

tonks said:
what about a fluorescent haired, multiply pierced, very articulate surgeon? everybody has an outlet for expression. for some it is their bodies. never judge a book by its cover. the way you speak and carry yourself are not your cover, though.

Ok, I'll tell you a little story, before my current job, I managed a Restaurant/Bar. I was looking for kitchen help when this kid with spiked hair and a lip ring came in. I took his application and threw it under the cash register. He came back in about a week, wanting to know if I had hired anyone yet. I told him no and he left. He came back again in another week, asking again. That time I took the time to talk to the boy, found out he was very intelligent, and turned out to be one of the best workers I had there. He is still a very good friend of mine, takes care of my dogs for me when I'm out of town, and has a key to my house and an account on my computer if he needs internet access when I'm not home. He still has the lip ring, still spikes his hair, but I see past it now. Now, if I saw someone else with spiked hair and a lip ring looking around my store, I'd still follow them. It doesn't matter how articulate someone is, or how intelligent one is, you still have to watch that type a little closer than the rest.

PuterTutor said:
Ok, I'll tell you a little story, before my current job, I managed a Restaurant/Bar. I was looking for kitchen help when this kid with spiked hair and a lip ring came in. I took his application and threw it under the cash register. He came back in about a week, wanting to know if I had hired anyone yet. I told him no and he left. He came back again in another week, asking again. That time I took the time to talk to the boy, found out he was very intelligent, and turned out to be one of the best workers I had there. He is still a very good friend of mine, takes care of my dogs for me when I'm out of town, and has a key to my house and an account on my computer if he needs internet access when I'm not home. He still has the lip ring, still spikes his hair, but I see past it now. Now, if I saw someone else with spiked hair and a lip ring looking around my store, I'd still follow them. It doesn't matter how articulate someone is, or how intelligent one is, you still have to watch that type a little closer than the rest.

Exactly.

tonks said:

For the record...I'm not a judgemental person. But I do recognize that appearence is an indicator of human behavior....Not always dead accurate...but usually close. :shrug:

Squiggy said:
For the record...I'm not a judgemental person. But I do recognize that appearence is an indicator of human behavior....Not always dead accurate...but usually close. :shrug:

I have to say that if you saw me you would not think that I am anything like what I really am. I look sweet and like I wouldn't hurt anyone but in reality I am very aggresive and shout and scream a lot. You wouldn't think that I am capable of some of the things that I have done. But I am.

Justintime said:
All you idiot Religous fanatics and freaks, moreso the Asian populace.. do not make me walk fuckin home and back to get ID because i bought corned beef and Pork Sausages...i SAW you look at me funny and you attitude change to me when you saw the Corned beef.. if you're so fanatical why do you SELL corned beef? and my signature for the card lookas just the same as the sig on the paper slip, i only come to your shop cause you take cards, cash machines down and i'm broke and Sainsbury did'nt have bensons and i did'nt feel like goign all the way to Tescos.. ok?

that said... i'm all ok now :D
It was halal?

All the takeways up here have to be halal now so that the muslims (who against their religion) that are out drinking can have a kebab and chicken burger. And then they complain that they're arent enough Mosques...

Anyway I'll admit Justin I've been guilty of the same thing. My friend Keith and his family were originally Indian at some point but now view themselves as English. I assumed he was Indian when I first met him but when I got to know him....well things were viewed differently. How many Hindu moshers do you know?

steweygrrrr said:
It was halal?

All the takeways up here have to be halal now so that the muslims (who against their religion) that are out drinking can have a kebab and chicken burger. And then they complain that they're arent enough Mosques...

Anyway I'll admit Justin I've been guilty of the same thing. My friend Keith and his family were originally Indian at some point but now view themselves as English. I assumed he was Indian when I first met him but when I got to know him....well things were viewed differently. How many Hindu moshers do you know?

Nah, just regular corn beef, i think hindus got something against beef eaters or worship cows? or is it mulsims? Heck if i followed my supposed (lol) religon i think i should'nt be eating pork, (is that an Anglican thing?). I don't follow religon, i have no ties to pakistan or India, if anything its South America, and i hate when people assume i do :p

Geezuz, I'm a good little girl compared to the likes of you okes - never have been strip searched by a fat woman in the back of a grocery store :crying4: Guess I'll have to put that on my to-do list

Justintime said:
Nah, just regular corn beef, i think hindus got something against beef eaters or worship cows? or is it mulsims? Heck if i followed my supposed (lol) religon i think i should'nt be eating pork, (is that an Anglican thing?). I don't follow religon, i have no ties to pakistan or India, if anything its South America, and i hate when people assume i do :p

Sorry bad attempt at a joke with the Halal thing. One of the muslim guys at work wouldnt eat a pizza because it wasnt halal. Hell we even have to get our chicken certified by the Islamic Council of Thailand as proper Halal. What if I dont want halal chicken? what if I want regular not had its throat slit and left to die and then buried and dug up again chicken?

steweygrrrr said:
Sorry bad attempt at a joke with the Halal thing. One of the muslim guys at work wouldnt eat a pizza because it wasnt halal. Hell we even have to get our chicken certified by the Islamic Council of Thailand as proper Halal. What if I dont want halal chicken? what if I want regular not had its throat slit and left to die and then buried and dug up again chicken?

Ain't that like kosher too? They bury it for halal? :rofl2:

Back