a question for the English ...

nalani

first, I was going to direct this to Scanty ... you know ... you think "English", you think "Scanty" :D ... but there are several English peeps here so I just opened it up ... anyway ... in a couple of movies I've watched that take place over the Christmas holidays, the people are wearing "crowns" cut out of the crepe paper ... what's the significance of that?

Seeing as how we were so closely aligned with the British once-upon-a time, I figured I'd find out what "could have been" :D

well, really!

i am really hurt that when you think english you think scanty. really hurt. really.

;)

those sorts of christmas hats come in the crackers on our chrimbo table, along with a crap joke and a lame present. its tradition, some of us like it, some of us even wear said hats rakishly for added english style.

then we eat some lovely overboiled food [preferably baked to within an inch of its life] and drink warm beer, preferably baked to within an inch of its life... :D :D

ris said:
well, really!

i am really hurt that when you think english you think scanty. really hurt. really.

;)

Hey .. when I think "hotty", I think "ris" ;) *wondering if that's a good enough save* I guess you could say, it's a bit of mess, really ;)

ris said:
those sorts of christmas hats come in the crackers on our chrimbo table
... umm.... :confuse3: ... huh? now, are crackers to you the same thing to us? Or was that biscuit and cookie? I'm all confused ...

so, when did this tradition start? Is there a meaning to it? It's kinda cute ...

crackers - like glittery paper things that go bang when two people pull on them.

or something you eat with cheese, or perhaps a friendly way to describe someone in an insane asylym...

the joke is /always/ uniformally crap. it wouldn't be the same if the jokes were good

cursory googling: http://www.absolutelycrackers.com/historynew.html

ah, another local word falls to the minions of the us english language.

a cracker is a small dry biscuit, often used with cheese [in the case of jacob's crackers for example].

a cracker is also a christmas item, usually placed on the christmas lunch table along with warm beer etc. a tubular item usually wrapped in pretty shiny paper it has a paper 'snap' in it [light gunpowder thingie] that goes 'crack' when pulled.
tradition usually dictates you pull the cracker with the person sat next to you and the one with the tube bit in the middle gets the pressies inside.

i have no idea when the tradition started but i'd guess its fairly recent, no later than victorian certainly [they invented the sending of cards if memory serves].

sort of edit: a brief search reveals this: absolutely crackers, apparently the tradition started in 1847.

damnit, nambit gets the same link, we been goggling the same google?

we missed:
cracker - a fat detective with a penchant for whisky

ris said:
damnit, nambit gets the same link, we been goggling the same google?

we missed:
cracker - a fat detective with a penchant for whisky

heh :)

gotta love cracker...

We have chrostmas crackers here too

You pull on the ends and they pop and there is fun stuff inside

Nixy said:
We have chrostmas crackers here too

You pull on the ends and they pop and there is fun stuff inside

Maybe I've been hanging around Squiggy too much,but your posts really do have a double entendré :brow:

:eek:No wonder I am a dirty dirty girl!!! I have been hanging around places like this since I was 16!! I never stood a chance!!!!:eek:

*runs around in circles pulling her clothes off * (I don't wanna pull my hair out)

Back