a society without lies, is it possible?

Gonz said:
"Do I look fat in this" is a prime example of lying that needs to be preserved
Not really, I mean, my one friend asked me that, and she was wearing a hideous green sweater, and I said, "No, you look green in that. The only thing that's making you look fat is the amount of fat you have on your body!"

*shakes head*

some people just don't get it :shrug: :p

Vortex said:
No, you look green in that. The only thing that's making you look fat is the amount of fat you have on your body!
That is so awesome. Mind if I use it next time I get asked that? :beerbang:

MrBishop said:
Lying does have it's good points, but I prefer thinking of it as glossing over the truth...giving it a nice spin etc...

Spin. That what the politicians call it too. They even have professionals at it, called spin doctors. AKA professional liers

(IMHO) Livin' a life free of lies given, begins with an attitude of willingness to face the truth, in the dark places of our own hearts, of the ways in which we live our lives, those evil ways, an' those less evil.

Dependin' on yer own level of personal conviction, 'bout the way in which ya treat yerself an' others, it seems either easier or more difficult to be honest, first with self.

If we can't admit to ourselves, the fears we have, which compell us to cover the things we do an' say to one another, that we feel are not consistant with our own belief systems of "right" an' "wrong", how can we ever hope to lives above the "status-quo" of deceit, exaggerations or imbellishments??

NOTE: "No man can tame the tougue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison". (so don't feel bad, yer not alone) Accept this precept, or deny it, but try to live in a way which disproves it, an' count the days 'til the next time ya prove it to be true.

Fortunately or unfortunately, denial of the truth, does not make it any less true, an' I believe we all share the commonallity of fears, which we allow to motivate us, to deny the the very truths we proclaim. All the more reason, to accept an' love one another, in spite of these denials, I say.:)

Back