Abort this ...

Professur

Baby pronounced dead lives after hours in cooler

Tue Aug 19, 10:19 AM ET

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - A stillborn Israeli baby who was pronounced dead by doctors "came back to life" on Monday after spending hours in a hospital refrigerator.

The baby, weighing only 600 grams at birth, spent at least five hours inside one of the hospital's refrigerated storage units, before her parents, who had taken her to be buried, began noticing some movement.

"We unwrapped her and felt she was moving. We didn't believe it at first. Then she began holding my mother's hand, and then we saw her open her mouth," said 26-year-old Faiza Magdoub, the baby's mother.

The baby was pronounced dead several hours earlier, after doctors at Western Galilee hospital in northern Israel were forced to abort her mother's pregnancy because of internal bleeding. Magdoub was 23 weeks into her pregnancy.

"We don't know how to explain this, so when we don't know how to explain things in the medical world we call it a miracle, and this is probably what happened," hospital deputy director Moshe Daniel said.

The baby was then taken to the hospital's neonatal intensive care unit for further treatment, but doctors were not sure how long she will live.

Motti Ravid, a professor of internal medicine, told Israel's Channel 10 that the low temperature inside the cooler had slowed down the baby's metabolism and likely helped her survive.

source

Don't they have it to four months premature that they can make a baby survive now? That's a big part of why it seems to me everyone, both for and against abortion, should oppose third-trimester abortions unless the mother would die without it. That, and it seems like if you're going to use abortion as birth control, you should really hurry up and get it done early.

20 weeks, I believe is their best, but even then..the odds are slim. I guess that they counted the kid out before really trying.

yeah, i'm thinking of a story i read maybe a year or so ago, where a woman went into premature labor at 20 weeks, but knew that the doctors wouldn't try to save the baby if it was under 22 weeks, so she lied and said she was 22 weeks, and sure enough, her little 20-week gestated baby survived.

this is quite an amazing story! that baby is one strong little dudette!

Don't they have it to four months premature that they can make a baby survive now? That's a big part of why it seems to me everyone, both for and against abortion, should oppose third-trimester abortions unless the mother would die without it. That, and it seems like if you're going to use abortion as birth control, you should really hurry up and get it done early.

This thread has nothing to do with abortion as birth control. This woman was bleeding internally and the pregnancy needed to be terminated for her safety. Abortion doesn't necessarily involve intention killing of the baby. The definition of abort is:

"to bring forth stillborn, nonviable, or premature offspring"

They weren't trying to kill the baby, they just HAD to end the pregnancy for the mother's safety, they brought forth PREMATURE OFFSRPING and thought that the baby had not survived. I don't really think this has anything to do with third trimester abortions (which if I'm not mistaken are illegal...). Most of us reconize that a baby born in the third trimester has a real chance of survival. I think this thread is more about the idiot doctors who pronounced this baby when she was still alive.

Here here!

Too many people don't understand the difference between aborting the fetus and aborting the pregnancy.

This thread has nothing to do with abortion as birth control.

Of course it does Nixy. How else could we jerk our collective knees and whine?

For those among you who are unsure, this was sarcasm. :wave2:

So I guess what I had to say was completely invalid then.

Well, I'm not about to Google it at work because I'm sure I'll come up with all sorts of extremist sites but I'm fairly certain 3rd trimester abortions are illegal. I'm pretty sure we've had the discussion here before about how sick and twisted it is. Your point had nothing to do with this thread and I'm pretty sure there's noone here who you need to convince that aborting a FETUS in the third trimester is wrong. Aborting a pregnancy for health reasons of the mother is a totally different thing, when that happens they either induce labour or do a C-section and do what they can to save the baby.

It's my understanding that the later is what happened in this case (minus doing "whatever they can to save the baby" obviously...but I get the impression that was a screw up on behalf of the medical staff and not the parents wanting the baby to die).

Back