Adultery

spike

In another thread we were discussing religion and I stumbled upon this. Thought it might deserve it's own thread.

If you imagine some currently practiced religions and this being where they came from you can kind of see where Fundamentalism goes wrong in any religion.

Primitive and Ancient societies
Historically, generally adultery is rigorously condemned and punished. But it is condemned and punished only as a violation of the husband's rights. Among such peoples the wife is commonly reckoned as the property of her spouse, and adultery, therefore, is identified with theft. But it is theft of an aggravated kind, as the property which it would spoliate is more highly appraised than other chattels. So it is that in some parts of Africa the seducer is punished with the loss of one or both hands, as one who has perpetrated a robbery upon the husband (Reade, Savage Africa, p. 61). But it is not the seducer alone that suffers. Dire penalties are visited upon the offending wife by her wronged spouse in many instances she is made to endure such a bodily mutilation as will, in the mind of the aggrieved husband, prevent her being thereafter a temptation to other men (Schoolcraft, Historical and Statistical Information Respecting the History, Condition and Prospects of the Indian Tribes of the United States, I, 236; V, 683, 684, 686; also H.H. Bancroft, The Native Races of the Pacific States of North America, I, 514). If, however, the wronged husband could visit swift and terrible retribution upon the adulterous wife, the latter was allowed no cause against the unfaithful husband; and this discrimination found in the practices of ancient peoples is moreover set forth in nearly all ancient codes of law. The Laws of Manu are Striking on this point. In ancient India, "though destitute of virtue or seeking pleasure elsewhere, or devoid of good qualities, yet a husband must be constantly worshipped as a god by a faithful wife"; on the other, hand, "if a wife, proud of the greatness of her relatives or [her own] excellence, violates the duty which she owes to her lord, the king shall cause her to be devoured by dogs in a place frequented by many" (Laws of Manu, V, 154; VIII, 371).

In the Greco-Roman world we find stringent laws against adultery, yet almost throughout they discriminate against the wife. The lending of wives practiced among some peoples was, as Plutarch tells us, encouraged also by Lycurgus, though, be it observed, from a motive other than that which actuated the practice (Plutarch, Lycurgus, XXIX). The recognized license of the Greek husband may be seen in the following passage of the Oration against Neaera, the author of which is uncertain, though it has been attributed to Demosthenes: "We keep mistresses for our pleasures, concubines for constant attendance, and wives to bear us legitimate children, and to be our faithful housekeepers. Yet, because of the wrong done to the husband only, the Athenian lawgiver Solon, allowed any man to kill an, adulterer whom he had taken in the act" (Plutarch, Solon).

In the early Roman Law the jus tori belonged to the husband. There was, therefore, no such thing as the crime of adultery on the part of a husband towards his wife. Moreover, this crime was not committed unless one of the parties was a married woman (Dig., XLVIII, ad leg. Jul.). That the Roman husband often took advantage of his legal immunity is well known. Thus we are told by the historian Spartianus that Verus, the imperial colleague of Marcus Aurelius, did not hesitate to declare to his reproaching wife: "Uxor enim dignitatis nomen est, non voluptatis." (Verus, V).

Later on in Roman history, as the late William E.H. Lecky has shown the idea that the husband owed a fidelity like that demanded of the wife must have gained ground at least in theory. This Lecky gathers from the legal maxim of Ulpian: "It seems most unfair for a man to require from a wife the chastity he does not himself practice" (Codex Justin., Digest, XLVIII, 5-13; Lecky, History of European Morals, II, 313).

[edit] Judaism
In Judaism, adultery was forbidden in the seventh commandment of the Ten Commandments, but this did not apply to a married man having relations with an unmarried woman. Only a married woman engaging in sexual intercourse with another man counted as adultery, in which case both the woman and the man were considered guilty [3].

In the Mosaic Law, as in the old Roman Law, adultery meant only the carnal intercourse of a wife with a man who was not her lawful husband. The intercourse of a married man with a single woman was not accounted adultery, but fornication. The penal statute on the subject, in Leviticus, xx, 10, makes this clear: "If any man commit adultery with the wife of another and defile his neighbor's wife let them be put to death both the adulterer and the adulteress" (see also Deuteronomy 22:22). This was quite in keeping with the prevailing practice of polygamy among the Israelites.

In halakha (Jewish Law) the penalty for adultery is stoning for both the man and the woman, but this is only enacted when there are two independent witnesses who warned the offenders prior to the crime being committed. Today, a man is not allowed to continue living with a wife who cheated on him, and is obliged to give her a get or bill of divorce written by a sofer or scribe.

[edit] Christianity
This section considers adultery with reference to Catholic morality. The study of it, as more particularly affecting the bond of marriage, will be found under the head of Divorce.

[edit] Nature of adultery
Adultery is defined as carnal connection between a married person and one unmarried, or between a married person and the spouse of another. It is seen to differ from fornication in that it supposes the marriage of one or both of the agents. Nor is it necessary that this marriage be already consummated; it need only be what theologians call matrimonium ratum. Sexual commerce with one engaged to another does not, it is most generally held, constitute adultery. Although adultery, as the definition declares, is committed in carnal intercourse, immodest actions indulged in between a married person and another not the lawful spouse, while not of the same degree of guilt, are of the same character of malice as adultery (Sanchez, De Mat., L. IX. Disp. XLVI, n. 17). However St. Alphonsus Liguori, with most theologians, declares that even between lawful man and wife adultery is committed when their intercourse takes the form of sodomy (S. Liguori L. III, n. 446).

In the law of Jesus Christ regarding marriage the Mosaic discrimination against the wife is emphatically repudiated: the unfaithful husband loses his ancient immunity (Matthew 19:3-13). The obligation of mutual fidelity, incumbent upon husband as well as wife, is moreover implied in the notion of the Christian sacrament, in which is symbolized the ineffable and lasting union of the Heavenly Bridegroom and His unspotted Bride, the Church, St. Paul insists with emphasis upon the duty of equal mutual fidelity in both the marital partners (1 Corinthians 7:4); and several of the Fathers of the Church, as Tertullian (De Monogamia, cix), Lactantius (Divin. Instit., LVI, c. xxiii), St. Gregory Nazianzen (Oratio, xxxi) and St. Augustine (De Bono Conjugati, n. 4), have given clear expression to the same idea. But the notion that obligations of fidelity rested upon the husband the same as upon the wife is one that has not always found practical exemplification in the laws of Christian states. Despite the protests of Mr. Gladstone, the English Parliament passed in 1857 a law by which a husband may obtain absolute divorce on account of simple adultery in his wife, while the latter can be freed from her adulterous husband only when his infidelity has been attended with such cruelty "as would have entitled her to a divorce a mensâ et toro." The same discrimination against the wife is found in some early New England colonies. Thus, in Massachusetts the adultery of the husband, unlike that of the wife, was not sufficient ground for divorce. And the same most likely was the case in Plymouth Plantation (Howard, A History of Matrimonial Institutions, II, 331-351).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adultery

They all fall in the same way as secular societies of the past did...with the woman being considered 'property' and the man free to do as he wills.

You could take the religious connotation out of your statement and have pretty much the same thing with variations based on ethnicity. :shrug:

Thankfully...that attitude has mostly changed and 'women as property' is considered anachronistic.

Since I didn't read what spike said, I'll say this. Marriage is based upon two things. Love and trust. Adultery is a violation of both, and whether the person engaged in the practice is male or female doesn't really matter. That trust has been destroyed, and the love, if any, was probably never there.

They all fall in the same way as secular societies of the past did...with the woman being considered 'property' and the man free to do as he wills.

The problem I have with most religions is that they stemmed from this kind of thing based largely on their society at the time. Maybe it made sense back then to think of women as posessions but it sure doesn't fly now.

Religion is slow to adapt and most still do not give women the same priviledges that men get.

Society changes quickly but people still follow religious laws that were meant for society thousands of years ago.

1. I place zero trust in anything wikipedia says, as it is constantly being revised by anyone who wants to revise it.

2. As to the whole fundamentalist/religion/social order thing, I choose not to apply modern ideaology to my religious beliefs. Count me as one of them "once a sin, always a sin, God does not change to suit the whims of man" zealots. Hence, the entire diatribe is dismissed by yours truly as soon as I see the words modern, contemporary, or any of the synonyms thereof.

Lemme put it in simple terms. If a marriage was a business, an adulterer would be open to law suits, and possibly criminal fraud and larceny charges.

Marriage isn't a business. It's a helluva lot more important. And anyone who can't be trusted to uphold that voluntarily-entered contract should in no way, ever, be trusted to uphold a business contract. Frankly, I'd rather spend time with a child molester than an adulterer.

Religion is slow to adapt and most still do not give women the same priviledges that men get.

I would hope so. Otherwise they could be called fads.

Unlike Prof, I don't find child molesters preferrable but that is a position worth considering.

Your word is your bond. How strong is yours?

So how many hundreds of years more should it take before they treat women equally?

Why on earth would they want to lower themselves to only being men's equals?

Gonz ... at least with a child molester I've got something to talk to him about : the unrelenting pain he's about to experience.

I consider myself an equal...feel I've been treated as such too.

Spike - Those are old outdated ideas that the majority of the churches no longer adhere to....just the books haven't changed.

Back