Advice, comments, insane babbling

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Ok, here's the deal. My mom flies around the country constantly. Doing this she has racked up a great deal of frequent flier miles, free trips, etc... She has given the wife and I two free round trip tickets to anywhere in the continental US. Now, the most I will be able to take off before these expire, which is the ned of the year, is a Friday and a Monday. So, we're looking leaving at the earliest Thursday evening, returning late Monday. The wife and I have talked about it and would like to get the most out of these.

Vegas would be nice, but I can pick up a pair of round trip to Vegas cheap almost anytime, feel kinda wasteful to use these for it.

West coast is possible, but not Southern Cal. Sorry Inky.

East coast is where we're leaning, would love to see New England, but wonder if three days is enough to enjoy it or if we'd just feel rushed and pissed that we didn't do more.

So, where would you go, or where should we go?

New England is surprisingly small. In the truck, I can drive from Portland Maine to Erie PA in just under 10 hours, legally & within 10% of the speed limit. From NYC to Boston is maybe 4 hours.

Fly to Logan (Boston) and you're just a couple of hours from most points of interest. Do it in mid October for the colors.

So Cal or Phoenix, otoh, would be real nice around the 2nd week of Dec just as it's getting winter in MO. AZ has some outstanding scenery in the fall.

I have two:
1. Relaxing: Spend a romantic weekend in Cape Cod or Martha's Vineyard or some place like that.

2. Exciting: New York City. See a show, eat at 21, visit the Statue of Liberty, etc., etc., etc. I personally highly recommend seeing Tom Waits if you can arrange it. It really is "the city that never sleeps." Besides, maybe you could scare up a greenie friend to show you around. :D

So Cal or Phoenix, otoh, would be real nice around the 2nd week of Dec just as it's getting winter in MO. AZ has some outstanding scenery in the fall.

He's certainly right about that. I'd say Tucson instead of Phoenix, but that's a personal preference.

Gonz said:
New England is surprisingly small. In the truck, I can drive from Portland Maine to Erie PA in just under 10 hours, legally & within 10% of the speed limit. From NYC to Boston is maybe 4 hours.
I realize it's pretty small, but I hoped to see some stuff at a speed of slightly less than 65mph.

depends what kind of vacation you like... and where you have/haven't been

nyc is a great spot to spend a long weekend, though you'll spend mucho $$$... theatre, clubs, food, or just the sights... you won't see it all, but i've been more times than i can count, and lived there, and still haven't

boston's a much smaller version of the same, but i wouldn't suggest it... as it takes a lot more time and knowledge to track down the good spots

washington dc is a cool spot if you enjoy the historical and museum thing... you can easliy hit all the 'must see' spots in a few days (skip the white house)

my choice would be santa barbara... but you said no so cal ;)

PuterTutor said:
I realize it's pretty small, but I hoped to see some stuff at a speed of slightly less than 65mph.

I agree. That was just for reference. NE, minus NY, is just slightly larger than MO.

chcr, start in Phoenix take 1-10 thru Tucson to the NM border. It never stops being beautiful.

Professur said:
Personally, I'd do whatever's necessary to get more time off.
I could probably push for an extra few days, but there is also children considerations. They won't be coming with.

Well, being from NE, I would say it is pretty nice, but meh, I live here. But if you do want to come up here, certain times call for certain activities. Right now is a great time to come here for a golfing weekend. There are quite a few nice courses in MA, NH and ME. If you come more towards late september, October, than you can go to NH or VT and go leaf looking, lots of little B&B's to stay at up there. If you come in Novemeber or December, than a ski weekend would be nice. Cozy up to the fire at night and yada yada yada.

Me personally, I would go to NYC and stay in a nice hotel. Walk around enjoy the nice weather, do some shopping, see the sites. Obviously there is no shortage of nice restaurants in the City, nor nice hotels. Or go to Pebble Beach and play golf...

Just my opinion.

Wish I could help...don't go down south all that often. I love New Hampshire and Vermont in the fall. Northern NY in the winters. I'd avoid VA beach at all costs...expensive and doesn't have bars :p

Boston's nice...and not horribly expensive...the architecture's very nice as well.

What kind of holliday are you looking for anyway? Touristy or pile on the fun?

Gonz said:
chcr, start in Phoenix take 1-10 thru Tucson to the NM border. It never stops being beautiful.

Better still, turn left at Safford, take 666 to Alpine, head to Springerville, on to Flagstaff then back to Phoenix via Oak Creek Canyon and Sedona. But now we're going to have to hurry again, huh? :D We used to do that trip regularly in a three day weekend on bikes, but we were all about haulin' ass.
Widest variety of climate, vegetation and sheer beauty of mother nature it's possible to see in a short driving trip, IMO. The drive is not a good suggestion for your trip, PT, although southern AZ in Dec. or Jan. has a lot to recommend it.

Like brown says though, in NYC the pressures off to see stuff because you could live there and not see it all. It is expensive to have a really good time there though.

*can pretty much only contribute insane babbling due to geography*

um
why don't you fly to the closest point to Montreal, rent a car and go to the barbecue?

I guess that wouldn't be wifey's idea of a holiday though :eh:

I actually did think about that Les, the wife would probably go for it, but I'm kinda thinking something a little more romantic. We could really use it.

PuterTutor said:
I actually did think about that Les, the wife would probably go for it, but I'm kinda thinking something a little more romantic. We could really use it.
Martha's Vineyard then. Rent bikes and see the island. It's one of the prettiest spots I've ever been. I'm sure there's a couple B&Bs you'd enjoy.

This is where I stayed when I was there. It was twenty two years ago but I'll bet it hasn't changed much. :D

I like to think that Rusty and I are experts at the 3-day New England vacations by now. That is primarily what we do; take three days somewhere within a reasonable driving distance.

We just got back from Nantucket island not three weeks ago (think Martha's Vineyard, just less famous and smaller). We were highly impressed. Romantic? Oh yea. Plenty of quaint shops, cobblestoned streets, cozy and romantic bed and breakfasts around every corner, beaches everywhere, beautiful sunrises, great food, mopeds and bicycle rentals abound.... Just one thing. Bring LOTS of money. Everything is much more expensive than normal. The best thing about Nantucket is you *really* do not need a car. We didn't take ours, we left it at the ferry port.

Now, Boston... I've been there about 6 or 7 times, and keep going back because it's my favorite city outside of NY. Between Spot and I, we can tell you where to go, where to stay, what to do, what to avoid. There is something for everyone. Each time we go we find something new and return to the old haunts that we love. You could even stay in Providence RI and take the train up there. Providence is adorable (and cheaper than Boston) but doesn't take more than a day to enjoy. They have this thing on summer weekends where they light fires in the middle of the river going through the city, thousands come out to see it. I can tell you about some great food and lodging there too.

Now if you are thinking NY, of course I'm the resident expert. If you're thinking of fall, I can give you an idea of peak foliage for Central Park (barring extreme weather). Between Rusty and I we can get you eating at awesome restaurants, give you good advice on which shows to see, what are the "must see" touristy things to do... And no I'm not offering to be your tour guide because there's nothing more unromatic than spending time on your romantic vacation with an internet friend that your wife doesn't know. ;)

If you want more info (or pictures!) of any of the above, email me! I have a Bed and Breakfast guide too.

greenfreak said:
Now, Boston... I've been there about 6 or 7 times, and keep going back because it's my favorite city outside of NY. Between Spot and I, we can tell you where to go, where to stay, what to do, what to avoid. There is something for everyone. Each time we go we find something new and return to the old haunts that we love.

I can give you a hand if you want to come to Boston. If you want to hit the bars, let me know. Obviously, the touristy spots tend to be the North End and Fanueil(I live here, but still can't spell it!) Hall. Not bad places, but there are better.

Just give me a shout if you want any specific suggestions...

Back