Advice please

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
DISCLAIMER: I know more about Sudanese sculpture than I do about computers, so a bunch of techtalk is goona glaze my eyes over and little else. Thank you. :lloyd:

Me spouse is in the market for a router. She has told me the following:

1. She does not want wireless. Something about an ether card or whatever.

2. She said used ones are not good ideas.

Any ideas on where to find a good one that won't run and arm and/or leg? Both machines will be running XP...that's as tech as I can give ya.

SouthernN'Proud said:
DISCLAIMER: I know more about Sudanese sculpture than I do about computers, so a bunch of techtalk is goona glaze my eyes over and little else. Thank you. :lloyd:

Me spouse is in the market for a router. She has told me the following:

1. She does not want wireless. Something about an ether card or whatever.

2. She said used ones are not good ideas.

Any ideas on where to find a good one that won't run and arm and/or leg? Both machines will be running XP...that's as tech as I can give ya.
You have broadband? Cable internet or DSL or something of the sort....

if so, this is what I'd do:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833124001 $50.

SouthernN'Proud said:
Thank you, I'll let her know.

This worries me though...
Like cars, everything is prone to failure.

FWIW: I bought one of those years ago (4-5?). Version 1.0, first of its kind. It is still plugged in and working like the first day.

I replace routers for a living. The only time I've seen them go bad is after a lightning storm. :)

Get a wireless/ethernet one, the price increase is not that big (some are even cheaper). This way if you ever go wireless you won't have to upgrade.

As far back in the sticks as we live, I seriously doubt wireless will ever be an option for us. We're damn lucky to be on cable internet, and in fact the last time we heard from the cable nazis, we were one of about 6 households on the hub. Whatever that means.

Wireless is doable for you. It's all within the house. All you have to do is swap cards in the machines.

That being said, Mirlyn is still dead on. I, like him, have been running that router since it first came out. As always, your mileage may vary.

My ignorance is really showing, isn't it?

Thanks guys. I'll pass it on to her. She's the puter expert in the hizzouse.

I just bought a new CPU and hard drive from NewEgg today as a matter of fact. My favorite vendor.

I can't see the link for some reason but I'm assuming it's a Linksys. That's a pretty popular router, and I have it too.

greenfreak said:
I just bought a new CPU and hard drive from NewEgg today as a matter of fact. My favorite vendor.

I can't see the link for some reason but I'm assuming it's a Linksys. That's a pretty popular router, and I have it too.
yep....the plain ole BEFSR41

I've got the Linksys WRT54G router. It's for all intents and purposes the same router as in the link, but with wireless-G capability added in. It was cheaper to buy that than to get the wired-only version, and it does wired just as well. I have the wireless shut off for now, but I've got that capability for later.

I have the Linksys BEFSR81 (8 port instead of 4). I've had it for 5 over years now, not a single problem.

Back