Advice please

Inkara1 said:
I've got the Linksys WRT54G router. It's for all intents and purposes the same router as in the link, but with wireless-G capability added in. It was cheaper to buy that than to get the wired-only version, and it does wired just as well. I have the wireless shut off for now, but I've got that capability for later.
i've got the same one but i'm using the wireless capability. not sure how far away it'll pick up, but i'm not worried about it. not exactly a high density area around here. though i'm sure that, compared to some of ya, it'd seem like a major metropolitan area.

D-Link is acceptable, if you can't lay your hands on a Linksys. 3-Com is iffy these days. Stay the hell away from Motorola.

HomeLAN said:
3-Com is iffy these days.

Really? I did not know that. The one I have is a model from 2 years ago, 4 port switch and 802.11b wireless WEP/WPA/mixed mode supported. It has a nice exclamation sign that will light when something is persistenly trying to screw you, so far it has only lit when someone is spoofing me.

It just sits there and does its job, I have it configured to block all incoming connections with the exception of 100 ports that are forwarded to my laptop.

I might have been lucky thou, I bought it because it was a 3com and it costed half as much as the linksys.

I've dealth with 3 3Com routers in the past couple years. One was a POS, and another was a little goofy, but fully functional. The third was fine.

I've also dealt with 2 Motorola wireless kits, including hub. Both ended up going back to the store as broken, to be replaced by Linsys jobs.

Back