And their Off!!!!!

Mare

Going to the Sarasota Kennel Club tomorrow night. First time to a dog race, not sure if i'll like it not, not sure if I think it's cruel or not. Guess there's a first time for everything. Anyone ever go before? Did you ever win any $$$?

I've never been to one, I think they're not as popular around here. Although there's probably some greyhound races somewhere.

Like you, I've heard bad things. But I don't know what the truth of it is, how the dogs are treated, etc. I do know that there are tons of racing greyhound rescue organizations out there because once they're no longer race winners, they tend to be put down. Greyhounds are not the first family dog you think of. :shrug:

The races aren't exactly cruel...but the dogs live the live of a racedog not a relaxed family life. So when they retire the dogs it is quite hard on them because all of a sudden their life is sooo different. I knew a woman that adopted racedogs. She said it was like training a baby. She had one dog that was terrified of linoleum. They can be great pets they just take alot of reconditioning.

Racing greyhounds don't make the best family pet because they have been fairly starved in their racing years to keep them at maximum efficient sprinting weight. Once they get into a house with real food, they become counter thieves and cabinet scavengers.

My roommate's family and he grandparents each used to have a pet greyhound that were rescued race dogs. She says they were the best pets you could EVER ask for. Hers wasn't so fond of men but she would just shy away, not try to hurt them. Eventually she came around with my roomie's dad and brother though :)

unclehobart said:
Racing greyhounds don't make the best family pet because they have been fairly starved in their racing years to keep them at maximum efficient sprinting weight. Once they get into a house with real food, they become counter thieves and cabinet scavengers.

I beg to differ, only because the bf has a rescued greyhound. He's a great dog. He can be stubborn at times, but a wonderful pet. He's very gentle, loves people and children, gets along with my three cats......

As to the treatment of the dogs, they live in small cages and aren't treated all that well. Yes, it does take time to recondition them after they've been retired, which is usually between the ages of 2 and 5.

Here's some info:

1. Greyhounds placed through our organization are usually between two (2) and five (5) years old. These retired racers are very intelligent and adaptable dogs who, following a brief adjustment period, fit easily into their new homes. They are eager to please and respond positively to any attention given to them.

2. Retired Racing Greyhounds are quiet, clean, gentle, good-natured dogs that get along with children and other pets. They seem grateful for their new homes, and reward their new owners with never-ending affection. Contrary to what many people think, they do not require a great deal of space to run. Inside the house, they enjoy curling up on a soft blanket, bed, or couch if permitted.

3. Greyhounds stand between 26 and 29 inches. They are known as the big/small dogs because they stand tall but when they lie down, they curl up and do not take a lot of space. Greyhounds come in a variety of colors ranging from black to red to any shade of brindle and even blue (grey) or any combination of these with white.

4. Greyhounds placed through our organization have been provided with veterinary exam, heartworm test, rabies, distemper/parvo vaccinations, sterilization, routine deworming, health certificate, ID tag and a collar. Adopters are expected to reimburse Greyhound Rescue Quebec a modest fee to cover the above expenses.

5. Greyhounds are friendly by nature and socialize well as a result of encounters with other greyhounds in the racing kennel. Some greyhounds quickly learn to live harmoniously with cats.

6. Greyhounds are very tolerant of children and walk away rather than growl or snap if children become overbearing. Like most dogs, greyhounds also have their limits.

7. Greyhounds are kennel broken, which means they are trained to go outside and keep their kennels clean. By walking them frequently at first, they will quickly learn that their new home is the place to keep clean, and outside is where they still go to relieve themselves.

8. A greyhound needs no more excercise than an average dog. If you do not have a fenced-in yard, they should be taken out on a lead and, whenever possible, walked for the sheer enjoyment of being with the owners. Remember, Greyhounds are trained to race. Please take caution. Greyhounds are also champion joggers and Frisbee players.

Link to the Montreal Greyhound Rescue Org.

I looked into greyhound rescue once, at the request someone on this here board. The costs involved in rescuing an animal were .... excessive to say the least. I could rescue a dog from the pound at a quarter the cost ... and have a better selection to choose from to boot.

For a used animal? The pound ... last time I checked (which I'll admit was more than a few years back) charged $60.

BTW, your link says $350. When I was asked last time, it was something to the order of $500+ from the states (NJ, I think)

I prefer resqueing kittens/cats from pounds, have all my life. Scott is partial to dogs, but I really want a cat SOOOOOOOOOOOO BADDDDDDDDD!!!!

If you want a cat here, all you have to do is put down some food, and leave the door open for half an hour.

Granted, you might get a couple of skunks and racoons, chipmunks, squirrels, birds, deer, neighbour's dog, neighbour's kids, etc ..... but at least you didn't open the front door and let in the Jehovah's Witnesses.

Professur said:
If you want a cat here, all you have to do is put down some food, and leave the door open for half an hour.

Granted, you might get a couple of skunks and racoons, chipmunks, squirrels, birds, deer, neighbour's dog, neighbour's kids, etc ..... but at least you didn't open the front door and let in the Jehovah's Witnesses.

LMAOI hear ya there! I put food out here for a cat......I get a BobCat. :eek13:

Professur said:
For a used animal? The pound ... last time I checked (which I'll admit was more than a few years back) charged $60.

BTW, your link says $350. When I was asked last time, it was something to the order of $500+ from the states (NJ, I think)

The SPCA charges $170 now for a dog. The price Frank paid was 5 years ago. It's a pure breed dog and the money they get from you purchasing a greyhound is used to rescue others and the cost to have their shots, vet bills etc. It's a non-profit organization after all.

I know the organization will be walking as usual in the St-Patrick's Day parade. I'll be there with Frank and Rocky with the whole group.

unclehobart said:

Sorry, but that is crap. My family has adopted two greyhounds so far (both of which have since passed) and to be honest, we have never had gentler dogs in our house. The dogs were smart, fun (albeit sometimes a bit of a couch potato) and generally very loyal to us. Never once did they steal food off the counter or beg for food at the dinner table...

Regarding the racing itself, it is absolutely horrible. The dogs are treated very poorly and are kept in the worst of conditions. They are typically fed steroids in order to speed them up and if they aren't winners they are "put down" and have even been used as shark bait... When I did a report on greyhounds and the racing in elementary school, I read some serious horror stories about how these dogs were "put down". Not something like euthanasia, some farms in Florida simply shot the dogs with a 12-gauge and let them die...

unclehobart said:
You can train any dog out of that behavior. Any dog. All it takes is attention and a consistent training regimen. Greyhounds are smart.

Oh, please. they've spent all their lives chasing a plastic rabbit and still haven't caught on that they're never gonna catch it. How smart is that?

Professur said:
Oh, please. they've spent all their lives chasing a plastic rabbit and still haven't caught on that they're never gonna catch it. How smart is that?

I believe what he should have said is "As far as dogs go, Greyhounds are smart." Many many dogs are as dumb as doornails (my dog being one of them but I love her anyway :D)

Back