Anorexia in the 4th grade

PrincessLissa

A few weeks ago I learned that Alex had not been eating her school lunch for 2 days in attempts to loose weight. She was fearful that she was getting fat. I was so upset by this. I am glad I caught it when I did, but still felt terrible that it went on for two whole days under my radar. I yanked her out of class that day and took her straight to the Dr. They talked with her and showed her how her body was growing and explained a lot of things to her. Like the fact that she is very athletic and taller than other girls her age so her weight number will be higher but that doesn't mean anything. The child is actually 6 pounds underweight and trust me, she is no where near chunky.

So I decided to find out exactly where this nonsense of an idea came from. It came from right where I expected it to come from. A girl at school has a mom that claims that she was once a model and is always watching her weight. This girl told the staff when they confronted her that her mom skips meals all the time and that the whole family is on a special diet to keep them skinny.

I was pissed. This mom is the reason that so many young girls without a weight problem are starving themselves and throwing up everything they eat. Why the hell would you want to poison your child like that? If your child is overweight, than you need to find a loving place to come from and change the lifestyle for the family so that this child can be a healthy weight. I hate child obesity, but why make a child who is average or even smaller than average in size worry about weight?

It just pisses me off I guess. Today a photographer friend of mine had a client ask her to retouch the photos since one of her daughter's looked fat next to the other one. This little girl is NOT fat at all.

Why are people poisoning their children one way or the other? It is not healthy to eat McDonald's 5 times a week. It is also not healthy to give children the idea that skipping meals will keep them skinny.