Another friend lost

IDLEchild said:
No

Exactly. There has never been a point in your life where you have reached such level of desperation and depression that purposely inflicting pain on one's self is the only way to escape.

I use to feel suicide is weak, I don't now. It may seem like a selfish act but when you're in middle of a warp of depression, anxiety, helplessness, and pain, others are the last thing you think about. One can't see beyond the despair in order to have more grand view on life. It doesn't seem like weakness then, it just seems like the most peaceful way out.

Don't condemn him for what he did.

I agree. At my worst I have considered it a few times myself, this is exactly the case. It is more than a warp it is an entire meaningless vacuum which nothing can shake. Least of all those around you. It is severely misguided to accuse suicide as being a weak option, where it is impossible to put yourself in the position. IC is right.

The problem is that its consequences blow apart everyone elses lifes around the victim, and therefore that is the devestating thing about it. It is so difficult for people who have no idea of what depression can do to you to understand it and so in the confusion the easiest explanation is to poke at it as pathetic and weak. Depression isn't so much the person it is more of a disease that takes over the person - much the same way in effectr drugs do to addicts - it is the disease that causes this sort of thing to happen not the individual.

It sounds as if that is the last thing this guy deserves to be remembered as. The even larger devestation is that nobody was able to pick the warning signs before he did it, though admitedly as leslie says sometimes there is nothing that can be done except be aware that it is not weak, just incredibly, heartbreakingly sad.

I feel for you and I'm sure everyone here is there with their support for you in helping you to dealwith this tragic loss.

Back