Another useless poll

In the house, how do you prefer walking around?

• barefeet all the time

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • barefeet, socks if it is too cold

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • socks

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • slippers of some kind

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • shoes

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters
I wear my shoes around the house sometimes when it's cold or if I just haven't gotten around to taking them off. I have them on right now, in fact. Otherwise, I go barefoot.

When I got to someone else's house, I leave my shoes on unless I know them really well, or I'm invited to take them off. I consider it rude to take them off otherwise. It presumes an informality that may not exist. I recognize that in other places removing your shoes might be a formal custom, but if you're in the south, keep your shoes on unless you have a casual relationship with the person.

Mud rooms are also fairly indespensible out in the west Texas through mesa country because there is nothing but mud and dirt out there.

The key difference between a mud room and a simple utility room is that a mud room has direct access to outside so that you don't track all of the muck indoors. Most also have a secondary sealed door so that you dont let the heat out.

our utility room has a door to the outside. But if you're talking about those things with the two doors, i think we just call them porches here.

This conversation is cracking me up. :laugh:

We have mats in there, yeah. Say...if I had just been walking through the mud and rain and I was returning home, that's where I'd go. I'd take my shoes off in there and hang up my coat to dry, probably etc etc.

I'm so glad I've got you guys to talk about utility rooms with. :lloyd: :D

Linguistic analysis... we need to unpack the meaning of "mud room" and see how it differs in its nuances from an ordinary utility room. :p

I think we should discuss the class system that evolves in shoe cuboards... Why do some shoes always get shoved on the bottom shelf, while others enjoy top-shelf supremecy? Surely this is not right...

Notice how the white tennis shoes always seem to be on top, while the brown shoes are further down and the black ones are always on the bottom? :hmm:

I think the main reason for the north Mud Room and South no mud room is the amount of snow. You need a place to stop and take off the layers up north. Down in the south, your layers consist of a light windbreaker.

I just put all of my shoes into a large box and shake vigorously while screaming "NO CLASS SYSTEM!" "LOVE THY NEIGHBOR!"

I treat all my shoes equally too. I just throw them all in the closet, willy-nilly. But my coats! Ahaa...the elite reside on the back of my bedroom door... :D

Back