Ants subterranean structures revealed

valkyrie

Those poor ants!
Wait... I'm still healing from a fire ant bite from last weekend.

.... MORE CEMENT!!!

ResearchMonkey

originalantfarml.jpg

valkyrie

...and many will accept this as a justifiable truth.
I'm not sure how to interpret your response. Does this mean that you're OK with the research even if it meant the destruction of thousands of ants?

Most people don't have a problem with killing ants, especially for research. Mice (and other animals) are killed every day for research purposes and not many people lift an eyebrow.

So I'm just asking out of curiosity, not to find a weak spot to tear you down with. Just so we're clear.

If you need to know my position: if this was a once only thing for the purpose of research and not entertainment then I can accept it.

ResearchMonkey

They're ants. Experiment, pour anything and everything you can down those holes, use as many ants colonies as you like, they're ants.

*looks for around magnifying glass*

MrBishop

Sweet video...I wonder what they did with the structure once they finished excavating it. Museum??

valkyrie

Sweet video...I wonder what they did with the structure once they finished excavating it. Museum??
I would hope so. It was quite revealing to see the chambers and paths. To think that these tiny little insects moved that much dirt! But then each ant is in a class and that class of ant has a head for doing a certain task: soldier; food gathering; tending the queen; building and keeping the nest.

Something I just remembered from A Bug's Life (movie) was that there were female and male ants as workers. Only females are soldiers and workers. The few males that are produced in a nest are used as sex slaves to the queen. Now there's a bug's life for ya!

valkyrie

They're ants. Experiment, pour anything and everything you can down those holes, use as many ants colonies as you like, they're ants.

*looks for around magnifying glass*
They're living things. I would not go out of my way to harm them unless they were harming me. Such an act is a waste of energy and self-destructive. It's gonna make you a cruel and unhappy man.

ResearchMonkey

They're living things. I would not go out of my way to harm them unless they were harming me. Such an act is a waste of energy and self-destructive. It's gonna make you a cruel and unhappy man.

Thanks for advice Val, I'll try to keep that in mind. Ever have an abortion?