Any Apple Computer Owners?

yep what HL said.
That setupx file is notorious for wandering off in 98.
I've had to replace it many times. :confused:

chcr said:
Let me also point out that Win2K and XP are far ahead of 98se in terms of security and stability.

Actually, I think it boils down to what you want to do with it.

Nothing work-related, just internet, a few games, maybe some DVDs, copy some CDs, digital camera stuff.

I know modern operating systems are better, but I was thinking at the price ($180 XP) a person could buy a $500 Dell or Gateway and it would come with XP so you'd spend $250 and have a new computer...At least when I'm ready to drag it behind my car I look at it that way.... You know, I bought a 17" flat screen moniter last year, seems like I spent $225 after rebates, but I could probably only get $50 bucks for it if I tried to sell it.

In the shape this computer is in currently sometimes I'm lucky if it loads Windows. In the last couple weeks it's been showing a Fatal Error message (MSNIASVC caused a stack fault in module MSNIAWA.DLL @ 016f:0226d285 and will be Shut Down) within a couple minutes of dialing up to the internet and the little green computers in the right hand of the toolbar quit blinking and if I move my mouse to click on their icon it disappears from sight. :confused: But I'm still connected on line.

And I might as well come clean: when I removed Norton without using Add/Remove, I think I lost a file from my modem "The BVRPGDIAG.DLL" file cannot start. It's a Caller ID/Call Waiting modem and when it works correctly it's pretty cool.

Actually when I think about it this one sounds like the perfect candidate to learn how to tinker on a pc. Isn't the best way learn through trial and error and just opening up the tower and unplugging things?

Whatever I get for a computer I'm getting a high speed connection. And a flat panel monitor. :banana:

MSNIASVC and MSNIAWA.DLL are both MSN. May I suggest a reinstall of both MSN and the drivers for your modem?

HomeLAN said:
MSNIASVC and MSNIAWA.DLL are both MSN. May I suggest a reinstall of both MSN and the drivers for your modem?

I recently installed MSN 6 from a disc--should I do the missing startup file first? In other words, is there a specific order to put a system back together to minimize the stress level? Whoops, I'm late... I have to take my dog to the vet for an ear infuction. I'll talk to you later.

The Other One said:
Whatever I get for a computer I'm getting a high speed connection. And a flat panel monitor. :banana:
You're still on dial-up then? Prepare yourself for a quantum leap in web-surfing experience. :headbang:

Getting back to the original question though, digital cameras are said to work better on Macs. I don't have any experience there but I don't have any trouble with 'em in 2000 or XP. :shrug: I think Comp USA sells both, go in and play around with them some. See which you like better. Macs are substantially different from Windows, so you might not be up for the learning curve involved in the switch.

Hope your pup feels better. ;)

Yes, with all the helpful info I'm going to give it a try in the next couple of days--it's do or die, and possibly pay someone to come out and slap some sense into it if it dies. If it is sucessful I may still step into the 21st century with a new computer, but keep this POS around to experiment on :devious:

The dog, a black lab 10 mo. old 75 lb. devil dog, had a yucky yeasty ear infection. I got a 'script for some ear squirts that should make it go away in about a week.

Yeah, and I'm actually thinking about starting to brush his teeth.

You know, I read somewhere that you could FLOSS your dog's teeth and if you started when they were young they would accept it--HA!

Faithful, devoted Mac user ... and i fill my computer lab with Macs .. I'm creating a whole GENERATION of Mac Users! MUUUHAAAAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA

*composes self*

Dude, go with what you like .. there is nothing I don't like about my Macs, but I could make a list of a million things I don't like about the PCs up in this building ...

-na

The Other One said:
Yes, with all the helpful info I'm going to give it a try in the next couple of days--it's do or die, and possibly pay someone to come out and slap some sense into it if it dies. If it is sucessful I may still step into the 21st century with a new computer, but keep this POS around to experiment on :devious:

The dog, a black lab 10 mo. old 75 lb. devil dog, had a yucky yeasty ear infection. I got a 'script for some ear squirts that should make it go away in about a week.

Uh-oh, it's already started. Might as well go ahead ond grab a pair of black rimmed glasses (don't forget the tape in the center) and a pocket protector. :lol: :nerd:

*Notes that there are currently six computers (not counting laptops) that are either running right now or would as soon you powered them up at my house. :nerd: *

Back