Any Guitarists in here?

Spunky

Grrr, Have been spending a lot of time on my wee little beastie this week. Have given it a thorough going over and it sounds better than ever. BUT i want to do the action, now every time i try to do the action, i always end up with the strings still buzzing on certain frets, namely the 12th on the bottom E and A strings. I've taken it in for profesional servicing on numerous occassions but even they can't get rid of the buzz. It plays fine, but through an amp the buzzing is picked up and plays havoc when i use delay.

I've checked the neck, but that seems to be fine. so i'm thinking some of the frets just need filing, any ideas? Oh BTW I use roto blues for my strings (thickest is a 52) if that helps.

Squiggy

ThunderDick
:confused: If you're having trouble with one fret, wouldn't a jeweler's file be the answer? IC, I believe hes trying to minimize the string height above the frets for faster fingering....

Squiggy

ThunderDick
I'd take it to a luthier if you're not sure what your doing. The intonation will need setting afterwards, too...:shrug:

IDLEchild

Squiggy said:
:confused: If you're having trouble with one fret, wouldn't a jeweler's file be the answer? IC, I believe hes trying to minimize the string height above the frets for faster fingering....

I didn't know what he meant by "action". Never heard that term for fast playing before. Shredding is a more common term. I guess he could get a fret job done but electric guitar strings lay pretty low anyway, a lot more than acoustic.

His strings may be too tight. Thats what got rid of my buzzing sounds.

Spunky

Are you using Alternative tunings? Your strings maybe wrong for the type of style you're playing.

Get a Jackson guitar for fast playing. They have fast necks for shredding or action.

Spunky

Action as in the height of the strings above the fret. Have discovered a knobbly fretpiece on 12/13 which may be causing it, using a dropped D style tuning at the moment, but intonation and action are fine for the tuning, the only thing tha needs to be done is to get that damn fret sorted. Will do that tommorrow methinks...

IC - Jacksons, eh? My last guitar was almost a jackson... But opted for a maverick Species - 2 instead, and am going for a custom 22 paul reed smith as soon as i can afford it, with a marshal modefour and a boss me50 rack to gig with... :swing:

chcr

Too cute for words
I play a strat for my electric (Ovation Ultra, Yamaha Dreadnought & twelve string). Buzzing strings like you describe is almost certainly a fret issue. If you have had it professionally serviced and they did not either fix it or tell you it can't be fixed, take it to someone else. These guys are not professionals. I would personally have the offending fret replaced. It's not much more expensive then having it filed. You can try filing it yourself, I've done it with mixed results. You can always have the fret replaced if you screw it up to badly.

(also Deering banjo, Kentucky mandolin, Roland Juno 106, dulcimer by me)

tonksy

Gato_Solo said:
Tonks owns a guitar, but I don't think she plays... :devious:
;) even if i did i don't think the fishing line strings would make any sound...but my downstairs roommate can play exceedingly well.
linkage

IDLEchild

Lets talk gear people. What type of gear do you have?

I have a bottom of the barrell Ibanez electric with a ten watt amp (that thing is surpisingly powerful) and a bottom of the barrel acoustic from a no name company. They both play well but not as well as I would like them to. Been eyeing a Gibson I saw (gorgeous paint job) so to buy it i'll have to either

A) Sell my soul.

B) Sell my soul and also be a prostitue for old ladies.

C) Rob a few international banks while prostituting on the side for old ladies......also sell my soul just in case

firebird7bluea.jpg

This is the body even though the paint job on the one I saw was horribly cooler (it was green but it looked like it rained on the guitar and the green wasn't color safe so it was dripping...really cool effect.)

Oz

Ooh, space agey guitar! (Reminds me of a jaguar) :)

At the mo' all I have is a knackered old Honer accoustic (bought second hand for £10) highly recommended if ya want fingertips strong enough to scrape warts off a rhino's butt :D It does the job for the coupla dozen chords and bit of blues scale I twiddle around with tho' :swing:

Raven

Annoying SOB
Pssssh.....all you six string players!

I have a custom Jazz/Precision hybrid bass. Neck, fretboard and headstock are Fender Precision, main body is Fender Jazz with 2 musicman humbuckers.

Amp I hear you cry?

Carslbro Bassline 150, 150 watt amp. With blue carpeting.

IDLEchild

Raven said:
Pssssh.....all you six string players!

I have a custom Jazz/Precision hybrid bass. Neck, fretboard and headstock are Fender Precision, main body is Fender Jazz with 2 musicman humbuckers.

Amp I hear you cry?

Carslbro Bassline 150, 150 watt amp. With blue carpeting.

Allow me to worship you. Bass rules. The deep, trembling sound is so soothing to the ears...plus it sounds so damn sexy.