Anyone else own a Chevy?

I know someone who bought a 2001 Z74 (I think thats it, the 4WD version anyway) and with less than 30,000 miles on it, the engine blew. About 15,000 later, transmission went. :disgust2:

The Japanese have learned some lessons form Detroit. The newer ones don't seem to be nearly as reliable.

I am a Master Tech at Carmax here in atlanta... by and far the most common vehicles we repair are Explorer\expidition\excursion. the next most worked on vehicle is the Windstar,, all Fords by the way:D

Kruz, can you tell me why scrap parts for a 91 Sonoma are so hard to find? I had a dealer with a hookup to a quebec-wide network of scrap dealers search for an instrument cluster for mine, and he couldn't get one across an area the size of Texas.

Either nothing on these trucks lasts to be scrap, or they simply never die.

is it the digital cluster or the analog one?.. the digital clusters failed so often there just not available anymore!

Dunno. I bought the truck used, and it came with the cluster from an automatic, analog. the pinout was completely wrong and the only thing that worked was the speedometer. I remapped the pins and got most of it to work, but I'm not totally sure if the voltages are the same. The gas guage swings well above full, and the oil pressure bounces like the stock market. The warning lights are wasted space, but I finally got the dash lights to work. The highbeam indicator doesn't tho, but I'm damned if I'm gonna fiddle with it anymore than I have already.

my favorite was my 89 s-10 man i baught that thing brand new an ran the wheels off it. had it for like 6 years.
never had a problem i couldnt fix with it. water pump, anf the electronic brain were it basically.
Now i got My dodge ram, well guess where its sitting?...

you got it, in the garage having a transmission put in it. they told me the torck converter exploded and sent metal fragments thru the tranny. Just made the 3rd payment on it. live and learn i guess, they are all a necessary evil.

My parents got a Explorer when they first came out, returned it in 6 months. Now they have an Expidition and love it but they're going to be getting a motor home soon. :eek: They just keep going bigger and bigger. Give it another year, they'll be driving a tractor trailer. ;)

My Dad had a Datsun 210 hatchback for so many years. I hated the car because the back seat and hatch were tiny and it was really noisy and smelly but he did almost no repairs except routine maintenance.

I got an 83 Citation and she's been very good to me as all my chevies have. She is old and tired and burns oil and sometimes dies when idling forward or back, but it's valve guides that let the oil in (I did a vaccum test to determine ring condidition was good) and the dying is probably just plug fouling. The point is, she cost me $300 and has run a lot of miles for me...starts when cold and generally is good on gas

Considering the age of my '81 Honda and how much it's been used the past six months, it's been pretty reliable. The only thing with it is how fast it goes through front brake pads, and how I'm barely getting 22mpg with it lately. It's got 112,000 miles on it.

Ash: Whatever happened to the Plymouth Acclaim you were getting?

I have a '96 chevy silverado 1500......so far i haven't had any major problems with it....or notice any thing acting up

Stkshft said:
I have a '96 chevy silverado 1500......so far i haven't had any major problems with it....or notice any thing acting up

But the question is, does it ask you to check "gages"?

I bet it does. Mine's a '96...and it does. It happens right after you start it, just for a few seconds.

That's it. It's a fucking conspiracy to piss me and Q off. Bastards. :disgust2:

Back