Anyone see District 9 or Inglourious Basterds?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
District 9...

what was it about? I wasn't sure if I was watching a mediocre alien movie or a thinly veiled docudrama about the plight of the S. Africans.

IDLEchild

Saw both.

District 9: Very good. I don't know if I want the story developed more or leave it as it is.

Inglorious Basterds: Slick dialogue, too much dialogue. Brad Pitt woefully under used, great acting, pitiful amount of action. Tarantino is a gifted writer but he loves the sound of his words too much.

spike

Inglorious Basterds: Slick dialogue, too much dialogue. Brad Pitt woefully under used, great acting, pitiful amount of action. Tarantino is a gifted writer but he loves the sound of his words too much.

This one was heavy on tension. Very well done tense scenes like the very first one with the jew hunter visiting that family and the scene in the bar.

MrBishop

Inglourious Basterds:

Directed by Quentin Tarrantino, which should say a lot about the movie before you step in the door..but I keep falling for it anyway. The movie plays out during WWII before the Normandy Invasion. It's a Tarrantinoesque twist on The Dirty Dozen - except they're only 8 it's not a mission, per se..but a cause.

The movie is bloody and gory, features a few plot twists and fails to hold your suspension of disbelief for very long. Like most of his films, it begins beautifully..well acted, good dialog and implied violence. This looks like a great movie until Pitt makes an appearance and outlines the plot for you.

There are some excellent bits in the middle and the end, and he really tries to keep it real, but goes too far into some sort of technicolour version of reality. A shame really. Certain scenes which should've been really full of impact fall flat because of cut-scenes to improbable scenes.

6/10 for effort - it would've gotten a higher score if some of the cut-scenes had been removed, or if Tarantino had stuck with implied violence and drama instead of falling to the cheap thrills of gore and buckets of blood.

*Spike: The first scene..if he'd followed through with it and kept the taste..would've made the movie a great flick! Much like From Dusk 'till Dawn.

MrBishop

I much preferred District 9 over Basterds, despite the Blair-witch-like camera work on occasion.