Are there any disgruntled DirecTV DVR owners out there?

Scn64

I'm just curious if any other DirecTV DVR owners have been having continuous problems with their box. I received a DVR 1 or 2 years ago for Christmas. At first, it worked fine but quickly we started noticing that certain channels would come in very poorly or not at all. These same channels would, many times, come in just fine on our other box which isn't a DVR, so I don't think it has anything to do with the actual satellite signal. Besides that, our DVR just randomly stopped working one day. We couldn't get ANY channels, couldn't even play recorded shows. It's like the thing just lost it's mind. We called DirecTV and they sent us another DVR that was supposedly an updated model that would fix the problem. Again, it worked fine for a few weeks and now is doing the exact same thing as the last one.

We've been having enough problems with our service that we decided to cancel it, which is when DirecTV "kindly" reminded us that we're under a contract. We knew this already, but we thought we were still just under our original contract which would be ending this December. However, they conveniently re-newed our contract when they sent the replacement DVR and forgot to mention it to us. Basically, they can keep sending us units that will fail in several weeks time and keep renewing our contract when we decide we no longer want a dysfunctional DVR. Has anyone else experienced these problems with DirecTV?

We have a giant dusty tv in the corner of the room that only gets switched on once a month or so. I could totally live without it. :shrug:

Try upgrading your cable.

Try this. Each channel comes in on a transponder. Go through them. You'll find them in the setup/diagnostic menu. If you find that most of your trouble channels are all coming in on the same transponder, find out what voltage that transponder runs at. I had a similar trouble after running and extension, and when the tech ran through the list of trouble channels, that's that he noticed. I had a weak section of insulation and the higher voltage channels were grounding out. The DVR boxes may be more sensitive to that.

Try upgrading your cable.

Try this. Each channel comes in on a transponder. Go through them. You'll find them in the setup/diagnostic menu. If you find that most of your trouble channels are all coming in on the same transponder, find out what voltage that transponder runs at. I had a similar trouble after running and extension, and when the tech ran through the list of trouble channels, that's that he noticed. I had a weak section of insulation and the higher voltage channels were grounding out. The DVR boxes may be more sensitive to that.

My box is so messed up that it won't even turn on. I can't even get to the setup/diagnostic menu to attempt a fix. :crap:

After the second box, you've the right to demand they send an installer to deal with the issue on their own time.

Did you sign a new contract when you got the new DVR? Is there a clause in your old contract about new equipment = new contract? How about replacing faulty equipment = new contract? Call them up, make them fix the problem, and if they can't drop them. They aren't fulfilling their end...and make sure they know why you're kicking them to the curb. Make sure you put it in writing, and make sure you mail 2 copies at the same time. One to them, and one to yourself (don't open yours outside of a courtroom if it comes to that).

I love Dish (although, Echostar is in litigation with TIVO over the Dish PVR equipment)

Back