Are you a hoarder or a chucker out?

Aunty Em

I've been going through my sister's papers today to help sort out her financial dealings and I cannot BELIEVE what a hoarder she was. She's got old bills and receipts from 10 years ago! I could wallpaper the house with them ~ twice!

So do you a)hoard all your old bills and receipts, b)clear them out at regular intervals or c)just chuck them out as soon as they're paid (or even sooner in some cases)?

I'm a b) person, I clear them out at regular intervals, about every 3 - 6 months.

The 'dreaded' question...I'm not bad now, but I used to be terrible at hoarding stuff...I could never make myself look hard enough to decide whether it was important. So I kept everything...Now I toss bills and such as soon as I pay them...But I still have boxes of stuff that needs 'sorting'..:D

none i dont pay my parents but id rather be a b person like my parents my dads brother was an a person when he died we saw how many upiad bills he had. it was a lot. i dont want that in my future.

Squiggy said:
The 'dreaded' question...I'm not bad now, but I used to be terrible at hoarding stuff...I could never make myself look hard enough to decide whether it was important. So I kept everything...Now I toss bills and such as soon as I pay them...But I still have boxes of stuff that needs 'sorting'..:D

Actually, I also keep a household accounts book where I record all my income and outgoings and balance. Nothing gets trough the door without being recorded in triplicate! Proper little organiser from hell that's me. :D

That's because when I was in my 20s my finances were in such a terrible state I ended up almost bankrupt and it took me 5 years to pay off my debts. I swore I'd never get in that state again and I never have. :)

I'm a hoarder but an organized one. As I pay bills, I put the check number and date I mailed it on the top and how much the check was for, and then I file them in these colored plastic boxes I have. I have receipts and warranty information on appliances and things that I bought as long as 7 years ago. You know what though? I really find a need for them later on. I broke a chair that I had bought over two years ago and wouldn't you know it has a 5 year warranty? I had the receipt and everything, so now I can get it fixed for free.

Just yesterday, I got an email from Victoria's Secret that they're having a Clearance Sale. I had bought some of my favorite bras (body by Victoria seamless demi bra just in case you're wondering) a while back from their last clearance sale and still had the order info. Last time I paid $27. and this time they're $19.!! I ordered two of them. :)

Here's a really freaky story on hoarding that I found one day surfing: The Collyer Brothers story It's long but a really whacked out story.

greenfreak said:
I'm a hoarder but an organized one. As I pay bills, I put the check number and date I mailed it on the top and how much the check was for, and then I file them in these colored plastic boxes I have. I have receipts and warranty information on appliances and things that I bought as long as 7 years ago. You know what though? I really find a need for them later on. I broke a chair that I had bought over two years ago and wouldn't you know it has a 5 year warranty? I had the receipt and everything, so now I can get it fixed for free.

I pay most of my bills through direct debit or online so I record the date and amount on the bills and usually keep my last 2 bills for each particular one. Above that it takes up too much room and starts getting messy. But I keep all my bank statements, in fact I have them going back 14 years... Warranties I keep with the receipt for the item until they are no longer valid then I chuck them. :)

complete pack rat. we have old magazines from 7-8 years ago still lying around in bags and boxes. the rate we're going, we're gonna need a bigger house in the next 5 years or so.

I am a hoader through and through!

Guess I'm just paranoid I may need this stuff at a later stage

Back