Argh - as if I didn't have enough work already!

MrBishop

I own my own house...which beats the hell out of apartment life, c'ept for the repairs. wanna see my list of jobs for this spring/summer/fall? Nope? Too bad! I'm in the mood to post and bitch!

• Finish spare bedroom downstairs (window frame and closet doors)
  • Remove floor from laundry room/library and add floating floor
  • fix ceiling in laundry room (post flood)
  • prop up and re-shim floor for downstairs bathroom/work room because the old shims had failed to keep the floor straight
  • Remove wall-to-wall carpeting for master bedroom and former computer room
  • relocate computer room/office to two seperate areas.
  • remove and replace existing 4X8' side porch with 10X10' new porch
  • remove wall in living room downstairs, fix potential crack in foundation, re-insulate, put up drywall, paint
  • remove panneling in dining room upstairs, drywall, paint
  • turn over, level, and resod back yard
  • and finally...
Just added yet another task! Babyroom!

I've got to remove a door, add a wall-section, remove wallpaper and carpet, paint the whole thing aquamarine ('cept the ceiling), and start painting tropical fish, algae, corals, an octopus etc..onto the walls. As if you hadn't guessed..the baby room will have an ocean motif!

Anyone got about 4 more pairs of hands, or the ability to add 6 hours to every day? A time machine perhaps?

Aah...yes, owning a house is much more pleasant than renting.

Our short list:

1. Scrape and paint exterior of house
2. Paint ceilings
3. Repair crack in celiings where the idiot prior owners didn't tape the sheetrock
4. Repaint spare room and stairwell
5. Stain stairs and railing
6. Paint upstairs bedroom
7. Replace vinyl flooring in three rooms
8. Level sagging floors in bathroom and kitchen
9. Replace floor around toilet
10. Somehow replace bathtub fixtures where idiot prior owners attached with purple primer and now fixtrures are stripped
11. Replace field line
12. Empty septic (paying for that this week)
13. Replace back door
14. Add screen doors to two doors
15. Strip and stain hardwood floors where idiot prior owners painted them
16. Sow grass seed so greeen in yard won't be from weeds
17. Rehang/rewire light fixture in spare room where idiot prior owners just balanced the fixture on the sheetrock instead of attaching it, and it subsequently fell and broke the wiring at an undetermined location
18. Install a dozen or more outlets
19. Install a dishwasher

That's on top of the daily stuff, like securing adequate wood supply for the winter, mowing this enormous yard, and fixing whatever else breaks as we go along and repairing any other messes the idiot prior owners concealed from us.

You're in good company it seems. :swing:

SouthernN'Proud said:
7. Replace vinyl flooring in three rooms
9. Replace floor around toilet
\and repairing any other messes the idiot prior owners concealed from us.

You're in good company it seems. :swing:
Damn...forgot about those :(
The previous owner of this place loved two things with a passion. Screw-nails and 4" nails. Both of which are a pain to remove. He also got a kick out of doing work on the cheap. I've got walls that I have to repaint because when he wanted to repaint certain rooms, he went downstairs, grabbed as many half-empty paint cans as he thought that he'd need, mixed'em all together and painted. D'ya ever try reproducing paint that's some fuckin' weird offwhitish brown? Instead of doing a touchup on a 6sq." area where I had to plaster over a crack, I've got to repaint the whole damn wall!
I've also got a 'finished basement'...but the guy used whatever wood was handy instedad of cedar shims, he used 2X2s instead of 2X3's for supports, and he used 1/2" ply instead of 3/4" or 1" ply for the floor. He bought cheap carpet and double-laid them instead of buying carpet foam. Don't know what fuckin' glue he used to glue the carpets down, but it's damaging the wood floor underneath it, and it's all turned black. Everytime I dig up my garden to turn the soil, I find the weirdest shit that they used for filler instead of earth... hell, I've found a tire out there, old rasor-blades in the walls, 1" styrofoam insulation (all of which has to be replaced 'cause its useless as tits on a bull in our winters. etc.etc...ad nauseum. (literally).

If it ain't one thing, it's another!

The idiot prior owners here took beautiful walnut plank walls, and covered them.

With press board.

There just ain't enough bullets to go around sometimes.

SouthernN'Proud said:
The idiot prior owners here took beautiful walnut plank walls, and covered them.

With press board.

There just ain't enough bullets to go around sometimes.
Amen to that, brother!

I feel the same way about handcrafted furniture... I find'em sometimes, and remove the layers of paint that cover them up. I have a pice in my son's room that had 6 layers of paint on it...couldn't see any of the detail until I'd stripped it down. The work on it was gorgeous!!! I use oil on it only...keeps the grains visible.

I'll have t'post a pic.

Steam clean carpets
paint a few ceilings
paint the front room red (current job)
deweed/fertilize the lawn
clean and reseal the back deck
wire a wallplug into the basement mudroom

Probably more stuff... but thats enough for now.

Paint the basement steps
Paint a couple spots in basement bathroom.

That's bloody well IT! Everything else has been covered.

HomeLAN said:
Red? You're kidding, right?
Not the great room... just the dining room. We think it will work nicely since it has white wainscotting on third the way up around the entire room. It balances. I wouldn't dare do such dark color on a full floor to ceiling run.

For me:
1. Buy a house
2. See where that takes me

unclehobart said:
clean and reseal the back deck
I've seen enough posts from you about that deck that it's obvious any deck I build will be made out of those composite plastic decking boards.

I only have to mess with it every 18 months or so. Its not as bad as it sounds.

Composite, eh? ... hmm.... I wonder.

unclehobart said:
Not the great room... just the dining room. We think it will work nicely since it has white wainscotting on third the way up around the entire room. It balances. I wouldn't dare do such dark color on a full floor to ceiling run.

I'm....skeptical. I'd have to see it.

HomeLAN said:
I'm....skeptical. I'd have to see it.
that's the room with the beer fridge, so it'll make it stand out...also there are white draperies and some mildly asian art in black and white...all of these will tone it down.
besides looking like a toenail in need of another coat right now it should look good when we are done.
steve? have you seen the newly painted cabinets?

Inkara1 said:
For me:
1. Buy a house
2. See where that takes me

I've seen enough posts from you about that deck that it's obvious any deck I build will be made out of those composite plastic decking boards.

Better check the price for that composite stuff. I did --- when I came out of my fainting spell, I decided that treated wood was just what I wanted.

We figured that our 12'x16' deck would cost almost $3,000 using composite. Using treated, it was less than $1,000.

TexasRaceLady said:
Better check the price for that composite stuff. I did --- when I came out of my fainting spell, I decided that treated wood was just what I wanted.

We figured that our 12'x16' deck would cost almost $3,000 using composite. Using treated, it was less than $1,000.
I thought about treated wood for my side-porch, until I realized the nasty chemicals that they use - I've got a 3yr old and one on the way. Kids are stupid and will lick, bite, chew on pretty much anything. I don't like going to hospitals. :(

Back