Attention Norton users!

HomeLAN

Update your product.

Almost the entire range of Symantec Corp. security software, from Norton Internet Security through to the Symantec Firewall require urgent updates, the company has warned, after a series of four extremely critical vulnerabilities were found by security company eEye Digital Security Inc.

One of the holes remains open even with all ports filtered and intrusion rules set thanks to a separate design flaw, eEye has warned. This makes it an almost certain target for worm writers, one of which -- if history is to be believed -- may be put out on the Net within 24 hours.

Source

Saw that last week on TechTV.....they had an icon of a Symantec box full of holes. :D It was pretty funny.

AVG!!!
I knew that eventually the hackers and crackers'd start using McAfee and Norton to poke holes in peoples' systems eventtually. It was all a matter of time...like using Flash to force-dl viruses...oh..that hasn't happened yet...forget I said that.

the only norton product i use on this computer is antivirus, but it autoupdates (live update) isn't that enough?

If you do it often enough.

My bigger concern here was personal firewall. Nothing like having your firewall ADD a vulnerability. The boys and girls at Symantec oughtta be flogged.

i just let liveupdate do what it wants, it seems to do it every few days.

not just virus definitions, but the whole shebang in it's update list. I used to restrict it to just updating virus definitions. NOw i just let it update everything.

I have a better idea. http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php :D

I've been converted by a network admin I highly respect and so far, I've converted 7 of my friends and family.

AVG - Not a lot of options on scheduling scans and updates but it's small, it's FREE and it works. It's the only thing I use now here and at work. After the problem with Norton and the Verisign certificate debacle a while back, I switched. I go to Symantec.com for virus information but that's about it.

Socket de Trois and other intrusion attempts.

Fuckin internet's starting to look like a minefield!

MrBishop said:
Socket de Trois and other intrusion attempts.

Fuckin internet's starting to look like a minefield!

I've dropped in Guardian Security Suite for a test fly. For $20 it's got a eXtendia based firewall, AV, popup blocker, spam filter, IM security and drive encryption. The popup blocker seems a tad rabid, tho. I can't even get the quick reply to work properly. but I'm sure that's just a matter of fiddling with the details.

I was getting hit with about the same thing except it started with
10.something...
I changed the mac addy, and Ip, and no more hits from them as yet. :D

catocom said:
I was getting hit with about the same thing except it started with
10.something...
I changed the mac addy, and Ip, and no more hits from them as yet. :D
Yeah, I'd suggest looking closely. 10.something is a private range....impossible to route on the internet. Probably spoofed.

If you're sick of Norton bogging down your system and raping your system efficency, try NOD32. I use it, it's great. The best there is, imo.

Back