AURORA SURPRISE:

HeXp£Øi±

On August 18th, Northern Lights appeared as far south as California and Arizona in the United States. The display was a surprise. It was triggered by the interplanetary magnetic field (IMF), which unexpectedly tilted south after a knotty magnetic structure in the solar wind drifted past our planet. South-pointing IMFs promote strong geomagnetic activity

http://www.spaceweather.com/

Although I live in the North England I've only ever seen it twice.

'tis quite an amazing sight tho' :cool:

Last week when power went out across much of the northeastern United States and Canada, something unusual happened to the night sky. It got dark. Without so much light pollution, faint constellations and the sprawling Milky Way were suddenly visible to sky watchers

You know, we thought of that. So when we got home from our sunset walk, we were about to take the telescope out but then all the lights came back on. If I had known that we were the only town in all of Long Island to get power back, we would have taken a drive. Figures.

I've never seen Northern Lights, but from where I am, I never expect to. Someday I'll get somewhere were I can see them!

I've only seen them once, even know the date 4/19/2. i'll have to take a look on thursday though, that site says we might get another good show.

greenfreak said:
You know, we thought of that. So when we got home from our sunset walk, we were about to take the telescope out but then all the lights came back on. If I had known that we were the only town in all of Long Island to get power back, we would have taken a drive. Figures.

I've never seen Northern Lights, but from where I am, I never expect to. Someday I'll get somewhere were I can see them!

Why have a telescope if there is soo much Light pollution:lol2:

Nevermind ,I figured it out.:brow:

Back