Aw Crud - here we go again (Asthma)

MrBishop

Just got a call from my son's daycare. He's had a cold for about 2 days (colds usually cause the attacks) but the last two colds, we were able to avoid a trip to the hospital. This time..it's starting to sound like the treatment ain't cutting it.

In about 15 mins...I'll know for sure, in which case, it's a 45 min trip to the daycare/home (for the medicare card) and then a trip back into town for a 6-7 hour stretch at the Montreal Children's Hospital.

Wish us luck!

Gonz said:
Hospital? What's the matter with your (well, his) doctor?

His Doctor's associated with the Children's in Montreal...kinda like a linked clinic. The Children's has a specialized Asthma clinic with all the bells and whistles. Her office has some basic tools for the job including a vaporisor, but isn't set to handle a 6-7 hour full stay with follow-up. It's the difference between a damn good Pediatrician doing her best and one of the top-10 Asthma clinics in Canada doing their best.

Good luck to you. Nothing in the world worse than a sick kid. I'd MUCH rather be sick myself.

Sofa so good.

The second set of inhalations seems to have stopped it cold...so far. We'll see as the night progresses.

Thanks for the good wishes... JAG says thanks too! :winkkiss:

Much luck! I hope that everything gets sorted out and a treatment is found to help out the little guy.

Also, did you ask the doctor if the attack may have been iatrogenic? That is prolly spelled wrong as it is a vocab word we haven;t been tested on yet, but it means caused by treatment if I grossly mispelled it.

PrincessLissa said:
Much luck! I hope that everything gets sorted out and a treatment is found to help out the little guy.

Also, did you ask the doctor if the attack may have been iatrogenic? That is prolly spelled wrong as it is a vocab word we haven;t been tested on yet, but it means caused by treatment if I grossly mispelled it.

you spelled it right... I don't believe that it was caused by a prior treated illness. He was never hospitalized prior to his first attack. We even used a mid-wife. :D

The cases of asthma in children are increasing. Some theories state that it's environmental...change in pollutants chemistry, pollen counts in the air, etc etc. They unfortunatly know so little about asthma that they can't even guarantee that a treatment that will work on one child will work on the next. They don't have a lead on a cure yet either, though most people seem to grow out of it. He's still young...we might have a few years of this before it's over :(

MrBishop said:
Long time no see Nicole!

I'm sure that the current president does think exactly that way :D j/k

Yeah, I'm just now emerging after being buried under work for 5 weeks

Inkara1 said:
Millions of peaches! Peaches for me!
Millions of peaches! Peaches for free!

Movin' to the country, gonna eat a lot of peaches
Movin' to the country, gonna eat a lot of peaches

Le Update:

5am - quick trip to the Montreal Children's Hospital with what we thought was a serious attack. Got seen at 6:06am. Seems that his lungs are clear, but he's developed Croup. Loverly!

He's home with Mom now.

Back