back pain

I've had almost constant back pain for about 10 years...job related. Since it's mostly small pangs, I don't even notice it much any more...but once in a while, wham...I can't even walk. I've been to the doctors, and the most they can do is muscle relaxants and motrin.

Have you ever seen those "ergonomic" chairs that you kneel on? I tried one once, and they can actually be quite comfortable. It forces you to keep your back straight and not slouch. They do take some getting used too.

Professur said:
Have you ever seen those "ergonomic" chairs that you kneel on? I tried one once, and they can actually be quite comfortable. It forces you to keep your back straight and not slouch. They do take some getting used too.

My pain came from almost-constant muscular abuse. 150 pound guy (weight has since increased to 175) trying to muscle a 300 pound box on to the top of a 6 foot 500 pound box without the aid of a forklift...or another person to lend a hand. Just about everybody in my career field has the same kind of back problems, and always for the same reasons...

SouthernN'Proud said:
Dude, try the aforementioned moist heat. I'll wager a frosty cold adult beverage it'll help.

BTDT...I know it works, but I'd have to wear it at work...doing the exact same things that gave me the pain in the first place. ;)

Ahh...something portable is needed.

Hmm...how 'bout a petit, small breasted Polynesian woman gifted in the art of massage? :banana:

Professur said:
A hot shower, hang upside down for half an hour, then another hot shower. Then, lie flat on your back on the floor, lift both legs straight up, and then slowly let them down, rotating your hips so that you feel a pull in the small of your back. (warmth is essential during all this. Any cold and you'll pull a muscle). Stay like that as long as you can, even though it'll feel wierd (a bit like hitting your funny bone, it's somewhere between ticklish and painful).
sounds interest, though i dont know about the hanging upside down part.

Dr. John Sarno and this book helped to permanently relieve him of years of chronic back pain. His theory is that most back pain is psychosomatic. When you get to the root cause of your pain, it supposedly goes away.
my back pain is definately not psychsomatic. after years of nursing and multiple mountain bike accidents, i am amazed i can still stand upright let alone walk. i'm almost afraid to have x-rays taken.

For relief that doesn't come from a scrip bottle, take a small dish cloth or hand towel, wet it and squeeze it out good, and slip it inside the outer cover on a heating pad. Turn the heating pad on, and lie down with the damp cloth side up
that sound good too.
thanks

If hanging isn't an option, try lying on an inclined board, head down. A couple of World Books under each leg of your table should be enough (unless you've a table with spindly legs). The idea is just to take the pressure off the spine. The more inclined, the faster it works.

Back