bad car luck

chcr

Too cute for words
Re: Z Oh 6

Does Obamacare cover auto towing?
Jesus H., obsess much? If you took your head out once in a while you'd get more oxygen to your brain. Well, if you were interested in such a thing.
Good call, now you can buy that Corvette you’ve always wanted.
Triple black with rally wheels? I like the '67 best.

Altron

Eh, I don't bother driving when I'm at school because of how much parking/driving/having a car SUCKS in Hoboken. $100 a month for a permit that allows me to possibly find street parking five blocks away from where I live, if I'm lucky. Oh, and if I forget it's street cleaning day, they'll get a tow truck to remind me? No thanks.

That was a big reason for wanting to sell it. I would have driven it all of about 200 miles between labor day and xmas. now it's off the insurance and I don't need to replace it until I graduate in May.

Winky

Who knows you might find yourself living right next to the Boeing plant
with everything you need within easy walking (or biking) distance
and won’t need all the expense and hassle of a car even then?

Altron

I'm not in a rush to get another set of wheels. I can carpool to work with my dad easily if I am living at home.

I won't need my own car until I am not living at home and can't just borrow one of my parents' cars, and I am not sure when that will be.

Altron

How about yesterday.

Adults have their own place to live.

Why?

My parents pay the same property taxes if there are three people living the house instead of two people. My parents pay the same mortgage and the same heating bill if there are three people living in the house instead of two people. There is a marginal increase in water use and energy use, which adds cost, but that additional cost is a fraction of what I would spend in rent, taxes, and utilities to get my own place.

Altron

Because you are an adult.

That's right.

I like money. My parents like money. I like to keep my money for when I do need it.

In a several years, I'll buy a place. But now, I'd only be looking to rent. Money spent on rent is money gone for good. There's no return on it. If I can work and not pay rent, that's what I'll do.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I like money. My parents like money. I like to keep my money for when I do need it. Money spent on rent is money gone for good.

Their house. Your house. See how that works?

Rent is not wasted. You aren't paying (directly) for upkeep or taxes. You are paying to have a place that you can call your own & set your own rules. You are not sponging off your parents. You are thanking them for raising you right & with the common decency to allow them their lives back. You are man enough to take care of yourself. This is not Europe.

valkyrie

Re: Z Oh 6

1967 Chevrolet Corvette Sting Ray convertible with the optional 427 cubic inch big block. A.K.A., The Last Sting Ray.

Now if that doesn't get your panties wet then I don't know what will.

<snippety snip>

Triple black with rally wheels? I like the '67 best.
Awesome.

I have to confess that I have always wanted to have sex in a '67 Sting Ray. Yeah, I know it's a sports car, but I'm quite flexible.

valkyrie

Why?

My parents pay the same property taxes if there are three people living the house instead of two people. My parents pay the same mortgage and the same heating bill if there are three people living in the house instead of two people. There is a marginal increase in water use and energy use, which adds cost, but that additional cost is a fraction of what I would spend in rent, taxes, and utilities to get my own place.
Sorry Altron, I agree with Gonz on this one. Adults pay rent, even if they live with their parents. It's their house and it's the fair thing to do. Honestly, you can't call yourself a full adult unless you are paying for your own shelter and not sponging off of others. It's a simple matter of pride and honor.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I don't understand why any adult would WANT to live with their parents, even if they were living rent free. I lived with my mom for 7 months after graduating university (and I only moved back because I had to move out of the place I was living as a student because my lease was up and no one will rent to a new graduate without a job). One of those I was unemployed and did all the cooking/cleaning as my way of contributing. The other six I was working but she made me a deal that if I was putting $1000 a month towards my student loan then I didn't have to pay rent. I only had $6000 in student loans so when that was paid off I moved out. If I wasn't paying off the loan I would have been gone sooner. I love my mom, but I'm an adult now and I like my privacy. She's not even a nosy/meddling mom, but space is good.

Even with paying rent, I managed to buy my own house within 3.5 years of starting my career. It's all about money management.

Winky

Oh get off the kids back
Obambi sez he's a child till he is 27 and besides
he will graduate into a depression
the worst job market in 80 years
He'll be lucky to find any job that's worth a crap
He don't wanna troop thur the mountains of Afghanistan

It's not like he's draggin' home a different hussie every night either

valkyrie

I don't understand why any adult would WANT to live with their parents, even if they were living rent free. I lived with my mom for 7 months after graduating university (and I only moved back because I had to move out of the place I was living as a student because my lease was up and no one will rent to a new graduate without a job). One of those I was unemployed and did all the cooking/cleaning as my way of contributing. The other six I was working but she made me a deal that if I was putting $1000 a month towards my student loan then I didn't have to pay rent. I only had $6000 in student loans so when that was paid off I moved out. If I wasn't paying off the loan I would have been gone sooner. I love my mom, but I'm an adult now and I like my privacy. She's not even a nosy/meddling mom, but space is good.

Even with paying rent, I managed to buy my own house within 3.5 years of starting my career. It's all about money management.
I feel the same way about my mom (who died years ago from ovarian cancer). Loved her but it was difficult living with her.

I had a reverse situation actually. She had sold her house and moved up north. Then she decided she didn't like the cold but found it difficult to move down without a job in hand. I offered to let her have one of the 3 rooms in my house (I had just bought a repo and was fixing it up), rent free until she could find a job and get her own place. That was a difficult trial. After a few weeks I had to sit her down and explain that I didn't want her to rearrange my cabinets and change my furniture around. This was the way I liked my house. She understood and backed off a bit.

She stayed only for about 6 months before she had enough to buy her own house and move out. She was very frugal with her money. I think I got that from her.

Still, the privacy issue is always there. Adults like to have their own space. No one wants to say "I'm living with my mom and dad" when they're asked where they live from their friends. Makes bringing home a date for a shag a bit awkward as well.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Parents, especially elderly, living with their child, is a reverse course. When they've lost the ability to function by themselves, the roles get (for all intents) reversed. The child does owe the parent a decent & reasonable ending, just as the parent owed the child a decent & reasonable beginning.

Having several family members in the nursing home business, all I can say is...not in this life would I subject my parent to that. I owe them better than that.