Beds

I actually took out my king bed and bought a futon after the surgery. I didn't even unfold it for sleeping. I used the metal frame to pull myself up and down and it helped tremendously.

I chucked the frame day one and just had the futon right on the floor. I like a firm mattress. You can't get much firmer than the floor.

Gonz said:
and Greenie has the nerve to call me a cheap bastard;)

I thought you'd be proud of me!! :)

My first apartment was a furnished room on the second floor of a house, no kitchen, hot water only for about 10 minutes in the shower, no private entrance, $400. a month. I was carrying that, a car payment and insurance on $350. a week before taxes. It was pretty bad, I hardly ate.

The next place I got was unfurnished and I still had next to no money. I got both beds because my Mom had left my Dad and was going to live with me for a while. I furnished most of my apartment for about $150. at a tag sale. I got two dressers, a desk, a 6 foot couch, the two beds, a lamp and a kitchen table and chairs for that money. I never found a deal like that again, but then again, I never needed it, thank God.

Sounds a bit like when I moved into my first flat, I had:

2 armchairs, a 3ft bookcase, a tv and a rug in the living room, a single bed and a chest of draws in the bedroom with a rail across the end of the utilities room for hanging clothes, and a cooker and fridge in the kitchen. I only had curtains in the bedroom but it was on the first floor.

A bit spartan but oh the joy of having my own place... :D

Just goes to show ya, where there's a will, there's a way. Makes me a little indignant when I hear people complain about how bad they have it sometimes though. Especially when it's something like "Mommy and Daddy won't buy me a new car!" I just have to laugh. I really think the value of earning your own money and waiting to buy things you *need* rather than *want* is getting lost these days.

I sound like my parents. :eek:

I spent about $300 a couple years ago on a queen mattress with split box springs at place that made them on site.

It's comfy as hell for me. For as often as I move and some of the places I've had to get the bed through the split box springs are an absolute must have.

greenfreak said:
Just goes to show ya, where there's a will, there's a way. Makes me a little indignant when I hear people complain about how bad they have it sometimes though. Especially when it's something like "Mommy and Daddy won't buy me a new car!" I just have to laugh. I really think the value of earning your own money and waiting to buy things you *need* rather than *want* is getting lost these days.

I sound like my parents. :eek:

It didn't take too long to furnish it actually 'cos I used to go around the auctions and local junk shops and find old pieces of furniture to renovate with paint or fabric. I never paid more than £30 for anything and that was a nice solid old sofa that just needed recovering. It was fun... :D

Back