Best Buy

Dave

went to Best Buy to get some coaxial cable and to get a couple of questions answered. i asked one question to 3 different employees and got 3 different answers.
i was wondering what the HD hookup required as far as cables and equpitment.
employee #1 said i needed an HD converter and a new cable box to recieve the HD programming and all i needed was a starter kit which was $30.
employee #2 didnt know what the starter kit was and said i needed to spend an additional $300- $600 on an HD converter in addition to the new cable box.
employee #3 said the new cable box is an HD converter and i didnt need to buy one.

i'm going with employee #3 for now. at least till the cable guy gets here next week....

Go back. Find all three employees & knock their heads together, 3 Stooges style.

Dumbasses

now im completely annoyed. cant get the DVD to work right. i get picture and sound, but no color. forget about the VRC. i have it hooked up the same way as the old tv, just have new cable. i'll go back to the old cables tomorrow to see if that is the problem.

Does your tv have a bult in hd tuner? if so you just need an antenna to pick up hd channels off the air. if not you need a hdtv tuner box, you can often rent them fromt eh cable company.

Are you using component video cables for t eh dvd player?

Spot said:
surround sound
DVD
TV
VCR
digital cable

There are many ways to hook it up. It'd be easier to do than explain so, good luck.

As far as HD goes...it depends on the TV you have. A built in HD tuner, as whorable pointed out, needs nothing more than an over-the-air antennae (unless your cable compamy provides/carries HDTV). If you don't have a built in HD tuner, it'a an option (about a hundred bucks).

I think most cable companies have their hdtv channels scrammbeld and need a special converter box to recieve them. at least thats how my cable company works :(

I really need to get an antenna becasue I think I would get more channels than the pitiful 3 that I get through the cable company's box. I just have to loose discovery hd :(

whoreable said:
Does your tv have a bult in hd tuner? if so you just need an antenna to pick up hd channels off the air. if not you need a hdtv tuner box, you can often rent them fromt eh cable company.

Are you using component video cables for t eh dvd player?

the tv is HD ready. the cable company is coming in next week with the new cable box.
i am using HDTV monster cables right now. the y/Pb/Pr type as opposed to the old cables which were the red/yellow/white type.
the cable box is hooked up ok. just need to work on hooking up the peripherals. with my luck, the tv is incompatable with the surround sound system. (sony tv, maganvox surround sound)

HD ready means you need to get a tuner for over the air HDTV. The new cable box should do.

The TV is not part of the suround. Hook the Dolby audio output on the DVD to the Dolby (5.1 or 6.1 dts) input to the reciever(preferably using optical cable.

Spot said:
the tv is HD ready. the cable company is coming in next week with the new cable box.
i am using HDTV monster cables right now. the y/Pb/Pr type as opposed to the old cables which were the red/yellow/white type.
the cable box is hooked up ok. just need to work on hooking up the peripherals. with my luck, the tv is incompatable with the surround sound system. (sony tv, maganvox surround sound)

First off, what model is your surround sound system? Model DVD? VCR? Us knowing what connections you have makes it easier to walk you through hooking everything up.

Mirlyn said:
First off, what model is your surround sound system? Model DVD? VCR? Us knowing what connections you have makes it easier to walk you through hooking everything up.

surround sound: Magnavox MFX 450
DVD: Sony DVP NS300
VCR: JVC A42U (we've had this VCR for about 8 years.)
TV : Sony 51" projection HDTV

if the picture quality for the DVD is anything like the quality of the movie i just watched on Starz, i cant wait to get that hooked up. i got a lot of movies i'm going to watch again :D

Ok, here's what I'd do.

Assuming:
- Your TV will do component as an input function (meaning when you plug them in, you can still watch cable tv...I've seen some where when you use component, it takes your tuner away (stupid idea to me)).
- You can assign digital inputs to modes on your receiver (meaning you can make the DVD mode use the optical jack as its primary input....see the manual for switching input modes)
- You don't want to watch DVDs on anything but surround sound (night-viewing?). You can easily fix this by running audio from the DVD to the audio input on your TV. That way you don't have to have the receiver on to hear your DVDs. Same thing goes for the VCR. If it doesn't make a difference, then forget what I just said. :p

DVD -> component video (y/Pb/Pr) -> Input 1 on TV
DVD -> optical digital audio (see Gonz's link, but don't buy it from there) -> Optical input on receiver
VCR output -> composite (yellow/red/white) -> VCR input on receiver
Receiver output -> composite (yellow/red/white) -> Input 2 on TV
Cable box -> coaxial digital audio (orange) -> receiver
cable box -> ??? video -> TV
cable box -> ??? sound -> TV

The last lines will probably be done by your installer. My guess is it'll be s-video to your TV. If you can help it, do s-video over composite (the yellow plug).

To watch this.........switch to this
TV...................receiver: satellite
VCR.................TV: Input 2, Receiver: VCR
DVD.................TV: Input 1, Receiver: DVD

As I said before, if you dont want to have to always turn on the receiver to listen to a source, just run audio cables from the source to the matching input on the TV.

One downside is that your receiver doesn't do S-Video. Mine doesn't either, so don't worry. You won't see a difference with this setup because your only video source from the receiver is VCR, and its using composite (a step down from s-video). If your VCR supported S-video, it'd be a little different, but from what little I find on it, it doesn't look like it does (and being 8-years old pretty much says no :p).

The cable boxes here have DVI, but they aren't enabled (by default from the factory from Motorola). Dunno if its different in your area or not, but you'd have to have a DVI-capable TV (dunno if that one does) in order to use it.

I have a feeling after writing all this I'm missing something obvious. Someone hit me now, maybe it'll surface. :retard:

tommyj27 said:
^ best buy employee that knows shit. :D
I know some stuff, not everything. Best Buy didn't/won't teach me shit. :p Hence the different answers from employees Spot received. You learn on your own, theres no training or anything. There is usually a jewel or two in each department that knows his/her shit inside and out, but finding this person is usually tricky.

Back