Best Fighter Plane of WWII

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
That's the one. We were the redheaded, bastard, stepchildren of the Air Force. The Pentagon tries so hard to get rid of it, but everytime they get close, a war breaks out and it kicks butt. Much better than the F-16 Lawn Dart.

Two words...slow and vulnerable. ;) Funny how the AC-130 was allowed over Baghdad...:D

GrandCaravanSE

1986 was the last year off the line. They are upgrading the electronics and calling it the A-10C. I know they are working on fixing cracks in the wing spars. I guess we "rode 'em hard and put 'em up wet" too many times!! A-10s and F-4s were my two favorite fighters to fly.

yea me two. the A-10 never get any respect unless you are the piolet. i just saw a whole show about the history of this plane, and it seems like every time they want to make a new plane to replace it, they are called in and perform great and then they want to keep them agian.

they also look very cool.
Thunderbolt_Formation.jpg

F15P51A10HistoricFlight.jpg

Altron

yea me two. the A-10 never get any respect unless you are the piolet. i just saw a whole show about the history of this plane, and it seems like every time they want to make a new plane to replace it, they are called in and perform great and then they want to keep them agian.

they also look very cool.

F15P51A10HistoricFlight.jpg

my grandpa just sent me a cool email with plane pics, and it had this one in it
image.251.jpg

image.324.jpg

funny coincidence. the second one is the same mustang as yours, and the first one is the same F-15 as yours.

also, that's like 2 miles away from me. i can sail there in 15 minutes. the buildings in the top right (jersey city waterfront), I can see at night.

Sharky

Ha - the tail code "EG" on that F-15C means it is from the 33rd Fighter Wing based at Eglin AFB just west of here in Fort Walton Beach.

Frodo

Courtesy aircraft http://courtesyaircraft.com has a P-47D for sale. I'm sporting wood just thinking about it. At $2.2 million, it is a little too pricey for me, though. Guess I will have to make do flying my friends super cub. Which, to honest, is a hell of a lot of fun in its own right.

Sharky

“Gray Eagles” is the story of a humble WWII Mustang ace, his grandchildren and the bond that is formed when history comes alive all set against the backdrop of one of the most admired aircraft in history and the pilots who flew her.

The Mustang was the fighter that helped secure our victory over fascism, and in the film's heart pounding climax, the P-51 Mustangs, will fire their engines, gather in the sky, and in an event never seen or filmed before, fly in mass formation. All their thunder and glory, passing overhead in a salute to the men of the War, their legacy, and the planes that carried them into battle.

It is impossible to tell the collective story of men who flew the Mustang into battle. So "Gray Eagles" will focus on one man whose stories typify the skill, courage and resolve of not just Mustang pilots, but of all fighter pilots past and present.

Trailer

:cool:

Gato_Solo

Courtesy aircraft http://courtesyaircraft.com has a P-47D for sale. I'm sporting wood just thinking about it. At $2.2 million, it is a little too pricey for me, though. Guess I will have to make do flying my friends super cub. Which, to honest, is a hell of a lot of fun in its own right.

Guess you should've saved that flight pay...:D

There's a loadmaster here at CAFB with an Aston Martin. His personalized license plate says "PER DIEM".

Frodo

I heard, can't confirm, that a Lt Col retired after 20+ and his wife never knew that we got per diem. Fly pay was great!! Get extra pay for doing what you love!!

Gato_Solo

That would be a great dream job!!!

Much as I would've loved being a 'zipper-suited sun god' there is a down side...family seperation. Of course today, it doesn't matter, but when I first enlisted pilots were never home. Check divorce rates and you'll see that they were close to the top of the list. It got better when we went to the AEF system, but only for aircrew. Guys like me got screwed. My average 90-day tour was 112 days...now my average 179 day tour is only 181...

GrandCaravanSE

Much as I would've loved being a 'zipper-suited sun god' there is a down side...family seperation. Of course today, it doesn't matter, but when I first enlisted pilots were never home. Check divorce rates and you'll see that they were close to the top of the list. It got better when we went to the AEF system, but only for aircrew. Guys like me got screwed. My average 90-day tour was 112 days...now my average 179 day tour is only 181...

Yea, thats alot of days.