best way to get music

HomeLAN

From their support database:

I was charged $9.90 for a track that was only $0.99

We apologize for any confusion regarding your Musicmatch Downloads purchase. When a track or album purchase invoice is created, we authorize $9.90 to your account, which is equal to about 1 album or 10 track downloads. This is to ensure that your credit card can actually be charged up to that amount without going over your purchase limit. After 24 hours have passed, your purchase invoice is closed and you are charged for the exact amount for your track or album purchases. Any remaining amount from the initial authorization is typically released from hold shortly after settlement. Please contact your bank with any questions about their specific policies on authorization releases.

So, it'll be coming back.

catocom

I figured it Might be something like that.
That's why I said I'll see if it goes all the way through.
I've had other online stuff do freaky things like that.

Hey, Thanks for the legwork there man. :)

Starya

Hm. Now that I have mastercard I could actually buy mp3's.. Still a bit paranoid about using it online though. Only done that once, when I de-flowered it for the Red Cross.

HomeLAN

So, you're concerned about putting it through 128 bit encryption, but you're comfy handing it to a 20-something waiter and watching him walk off with it for 10 minutes? :D

Starya

Waiter? Is that what they have in them places I sometimes walk by that serves food on clean tables? :lloyd:

It's an ATM card. And also a mastercard (debet). I never hand it to anyone.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
HomeLAN said:
And, here come the ultra-picky audiophiles! :D

I haven't seen you guys come up with an alternate.

AFAIK, it isn't a requirement to have an ipod in order to use iTunes, which are also files encoded at 192kbps but in the far superior AAC format.

Since you are transcoding anyway, I'd rather do it from AAC to mp3 than from wma to mp3, but that's just me.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Starya said:
It's an ATM card. And also a mastercard (debet). I never hand it to anyone.

While I live off these things, be very careful, a MC/Visa debit card does NOT, repeat, DOES NOT contain the same consumer protections that a standard credit card does. Depending on your bank, if the money is gone, you're SOL.

Inkara1

Luis G said:
AFAIK, it isn't a requirement to have an ipod in order to use iTunes, which are also files encoded at 192kbps but in the far superior AAC format.

Since you are transcoding anyway, I'd rather do it from AAC to mp3 than from wma to mp3, but that's just me.
You have to be able to play the AAC files somehow. Most mp3 players won't. If he wants to just keep them on his computer then iTunes is fine.

I've been really annoyed with them for making several things I do with mp3s, that are fair use, impossible without making it a pain in the ass. Oh, it's also incompatible with my DVD burner, so if I didn't have a DVD reader/CD burner drive in the same system I'd be SOL. I have to burn the songs to a CD and then re-rip them in order to equalize the volume between them, then re-burn them. Major PITA.

Oh, AAC is also a protected format, meaning no mp3 conversion, and the only thing I've ever seen recommended to me to unlock them didn't work.

Starya

Gonz said:
While I live off these things, be very careful, a MC/Visa debit card does NOT, repeat, DOES NOT contain the same consumer protections that a standard credit card does. Depending on your bank, if the money is gone, you're SOL.
As if there was ever money on my account to begin with.. :p

(With exception to use over the internet, it can only be used with a pin-code)

BigDadday

There is always one alternative as well. Get in a group where you can swap cd's with mp3's. or DVD if you wish??? Darn no wonder WinMX wasn't working.

HomeLAN

BD, the last time I checked, swapping was only legal if you didn't keep a copy. I don't think that's what you're envisioning.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
AAC is not protected per se, on iTunes the AAC stream is stored in a protected container. WMA files can also be DRMed and if you are buying them chances are they are.

But seriously, if the quality of wma files is enough for your ears and you find them convenient, then by all means keep buying them.

samcurry

Screwing with the code...
Staff member
Guys while it is still up in the air as to weather BT is legal or not. I would prefer not bringing it up in the forums. Just what we dont want is some internet watchdog keeping its eyes on everything we post for future reference.
Also Cat if your looking for some quality MP3 chaeck out buy.com or cdnow or amazon.com. They all seem to run in the .79-.99 range for singles. :)

Buy.com If You Could Only See (Album Version)Listen Tonic Lemon Parade $0.99

Available in 256K

catocom

woah, I missed these last few posts.
Thanks Sam!

I'm happy with MMs quality for now, if I need something more I'll check buy,com out for sure. ;)

BTW torrenting illegal stuff WILL get you arrested eventually. They know your ip.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
best way to get music
Go to the local music store & purchase a recording in your particular favorite format. It helps support the artist as well as the local community.