Biased logic???

Sleeping Giant

chcr said:
Logic says the world is flat until you gain the ability to measure accurately and the mathematics to apply such measurements. Note that the greeks understood the world was a sphere 2000 years before Columbus, BTW.
Logic doesn't say the world is flat until whatever. Until the other things happened, most people only assumed the world was flat, but logic had nothing to do with that. Accurate measurements and mathematics also were not required to logically deduce that the earth was not flat. If you see a ship sink over the horizon, you might assume it had actually sunk, but if the ship comes back to port days or weeks later, then logically you would know it hadn't sunk, and without the benefit of accurate measurements or mathematics you would know, from logic, that the earth was not flat. Finally, the idea of Columbus proving the world was round is apocraphyl; it was already common knowledge by that time.

chcr

Too cute for words
Sleeping Giant said:
Logic doesn't say the world is flat until whatever. Until the other things happened, most people only assumed the world was flat, but logic had nothing to do with that. Accurate measurements and mathematics also were not required to logically deduce that the earth was not flat. If you see a ship sink over the horizon, you might assume it had actually sunk, but if the ship comes back to port days or weeks later, then logically you would know it hadn't sunk, and without the benefit of accurate measurements or mathematics you would know, from logic, that the earth was not flat. Finally, the idea of Columbus proving the world was round is apocraphyl; it was already common knowledge by that time.

Fair enough. :D I'd argue that it was common knowledge that the world was round by that time. It was perhaps common knowledge in the same way that evolution was common knowledge at the time of the Scopes trial, perhaps (or like it is now in my neck of the woods. :lol: ).

What I meant (and I didn't state it clearly) was just what you said. If a ship disappears over the horizon, barring further evidence it is possible to deduce that it has sailed off the edge (other deductions may also be made).

chcr

Too cute for words
BeardofPants said:
Hey! Don't knock Rincewind. I'll have you know he's very studly. :mad:

Perhaps, but not a very good wizzard (or student evidently). wouldn't mind having the luggage though.

freako104

Buttcrackdivine said:
I don't know if that is neccessarily true.

i doubt the Vikings thought it was. I think it would be predominantly Europe that thought that. The Vikings and possibly the Native Americans may or may not have thought the world was round