Black Adder

An incomplete sentence it may be; my life may be dominated by comma splices and the odd lack of capitalization; I may ramble out of hand ...and I abuse ellipses by inserting them where they do not belong, but at least the idea gets across.

I picked up Red Dwarf II series on the way over to italy. I forgot how utterly stupid it it. Its great! One of my mates got blackadder at Christmas. Classic stuff. One of the few references to the "wibble" term that I use a lot in the 10000th post thread can be found in blackadder goes forth when Blackadder is trying to pretend that he he has gone mad.

It might be a generational thing. How old are you? Black Adder was 84-88 ... which was right in my formative teen years. That was the period when I was most receptive to 30 minute situational comedies... like the Cosbys, Night Court, Family Ties, Cheers.

Seeing the Britcoms of the mid 70s through the early 90s are just so refreshing to me after a steady diet of Americana formulae. The Brit stuff always had shabby sets, bad sound, ill lighting, ..but always the naughtiest and wittiest writing. American sitcoms always were very polished in the way of looks and sound ... but the jokes were usually cute and middling for the most part.

unclehobart said:
Seeing the Britcoms of the mid 70s through the early 90s are just so refreshing to me after a steady diet of Americana formulae. The Brit stuff always had shabby sets, bad sound, ill lighting, ..but always the naughtiest and wittiest writing. American sitcoms always were very polished in the way of looks and sound ... but the jokes were usually cute and middling for the most part.

You're giving the US writers too much credit. The writing, aside from the shows you mentioned, was abysmal at best. Canned laughter ruled because the jokes just weren't funny. Perhaps it's because the sets, et al, were so good. ;)

Back