Blizzard...

Jeslek

Banned
Looking through my window, ugh, I'd say it is a blizzard...

In Canada, a blizzard is defined as:

- visibility less than or equal to 1 km
- wind speed greater than or equal to 40 km/h
- wind chill greater than or equal to 1600 watts per square meter
- plus the presence of snow, blowing snow or snowflurries
- with a duration of these conditions of 4 hours or longer

In the United States, a blizzard is defined as:

- visibility less than or equal to 400 m
- wind speed greater than or equal to 52 km/h
- plus the presence of snow, blowing snow, or snowflurries
- with a duration of these conditions of 3 hours or longer

Right now the wind is exceeding 40 km/h, visibility is less than 500 meters, there is indeed a presence of snow, and I don't know the windchill... I think -12 or so. Ugh...

Jerrek said:

Right now the wind is exceeding 40 km/h, visibility is less than 500 meters, there is indeed a presence of snow, and I don't know the windchill... I think -12 or so. Ugh...

[smartass] Don't think the US uses metric[/smartass]

Every 5 minutes I looked out the window today, the weather had changed. It'd be blowing snow like crazy, then the next time I look the sun's out, then the next time it's blowing snow like mad again. Today was proof of this statement about Chicago:

Don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes. :D

Re: Re: Blizzard...

A.B.Normal said:
Jerrek said:

[smartass] Don't think the US uses metric[/smartass]
I don't recall saying they do... :confuse3:

Hey, it was ok for him to post it in metric, 'cause i don't know shit about the other system :D

this is what it looked like around here while we were driving around yesterday :(

winter blows goats.

Image-4.jpg

Luis G said:
Hey, it was ok for him to post it in metric, 'cause i don't know shit about the other system :D

Don't lose any sleep over it. They still haven't clued into the fact the the country that created the imperial system doesn't even use it anymore. Not that they could get it right to begin with. US gallon. Yeah, right. Translation: Oops, I spilled some.:D

Altron said:
SI owns imperial system
For most part I would agree with you, but flying a plane in meters is a pain, and when building stuff using inches just works out easier, from the size of objects (give me a 2x4 please), to the size of screws and that.

i think there's a difference between scientific stuff and what everyone uses...

i can't say i go round reading, for example, chemistry research papers... but i imagine they use grams etc when talking about measurments wherever they're written...

and we use a combination of metric and imperial, depending on what you're talking about and who you're talking to

Scientific papers in general use SI. For science, SI works the best. But that is because SI is a scientific system, designed for science. The imperial system was designed for human interaction and is based around human dimensions, not scientific dimensions. :)

Back