Bloodbath in Binghampton

MrBishop

A gunman with a high-powered rifle shot at least four people and took dozens more hostage Friday inside an upstate immigration services center, authorities said.

"A number of people are dead," Binghamton Police Capt. Alex Minor told the Daily News from the scene.

Binghamton Mayor Matthew Ryan said the gunman was inside the American Civic Association building, the Binghamton Press & Sun-Bulletin reported.
The paper said there were 41 hostages inside, and the FBI dispatched a hostage negotiating team to the scene, said agency spokesman Richard Kolko.

Sharpshooters from the Binghamton SWAT team were also at the building, along with a local bomb squad. There were no arrests, and it appeared a single shooter was responsible for the attack
A group of about 10 hostages was released from the building shortly after noon, leaving the building with their hands on their heads, the paper reported.

Forty minutes later, another 10 - draped in white sheets - were released from the rear of the building, the paper said.
A dozen people were cowering inside a closet inside the building, where emergency dispatchers were in contact with some of the victims, WBNG-TV said.

Police closed down nearby streets and locked down a high school and nursing home after the shooting began around 10:30 a.m., the television station reported.

Four people were pulled from the building on stretchers and taken to local hospitals, where the staffs were scrambling in anticipation of additional victims.

The condition or exact number of wounded was unclear, although one of the victims was clearly alive and waving his arm as he was brought out of the building.

"We're on full alert anticipating we're going to get additional casualties," said Linda Miller, a spokeswoman for Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Binghamton.

The American Civics Association assists immigrants and refugees with a variety of services, from translators to counseling to earning citizenship.
Link

I wonder how many people will die tonight because of some maniac with a loaded car ... but that doesn't make for as good headlines, does it?

Probably none here in this country, so what exactly are you saying? That it's OK to just go around plugging immigrants? Or at least less a problem than other acts of terrorism?

A gunman with a high-powered rifle killed 12 people and took dozens more hostage Friday after barricading his victims inside an upstate immigration services center.

The shooter, who apparently killed himself after the carnage, used his car to block a rear exit at the American Civic Association building in Binghamton.

Jiverly Voong, 42, then marched in the front door spraying gunfire at his trapped victims, according to one report. His lifeless body was found hours after the shooting began in an office.

Gov. Paterson put the death toll at 13 - which apparently included the gunman - with at least a half-dozen more wounded and taken to local hospitals.

There's your loaded car, Prof ;)

I'm sure that's why right away FOX said he Also had a hunting knife.
He meant to kill in any way he could.

I think mostly of gun issues when some kid plugs other kids at school, or when some punk shoots someone with a concealed handgun in the commission of a robbery. This kind of thing makes me think more about mental health care, or the lack thereof in this country.

Exactly whose responsibility is it to make sure that nobody is feeling in a massacre kind of mood, hmmmm?

And at what age do you suggest they should start the examination of citizens for their homicidal thought processes, Citizen?

The shooter is dead. Let us rejoice, for we have one less deranged loser in our midst.

SOURCE

Taliban Chief Claims Responsibility for N.Y. Shooting Massacre

Saturday, April 04, 2009

A Pakistani Taliban militant leader has claimed responsibility for the attack on a U.S. immigration center in New York state in which 13 people were killed, Reuters reported.

"I accept responsibility. They (?? they?? - j) were my men (?? men?? - j). I gave them orders in reaction to U.S. drone attacks," Baituallah Mehsud told Reuters by telephone from an undisclosed location on Saturday.

[more]

96192407.jpg

Back