books - need a little help

ris

i'm wondering if anyone can help me recall a book that i read and now can't recall the name/author of for the life of me. its been bugging me all day and if i don't find out what it is i'll be intolerable for a week at least.

[btw, i am pretty sure i read it and didn't dream it up.]

ok, about all i can recall is the following:

its played in part from his perspective after her death and hers before.

main chappy - scientist/biologist doing some research into hiv [i think], marriage on rocks. his missus dies in a car accident, looks like suicide [pretty sure she whacked into a wall]. he then starts discovering things about her just before she died, like her affair with a good friend, a rented flat [above a music shop i think].

turns out she has a brain tumour and keeps having blackouts. she finds this out while having an affair but keeps it secret from both. on her way to tell hubby she blacks out and careers into a wall.
also transpires through the work that main chappy is doing that she had contracted hiv [although he doesn't know its her because she uses a different name] and has got it off her affair-blokie. he confronts the best friend at the end with the news.

i thought it was an iain banks book but when i tried to find out which one i found out that it wasn't and now i can't recall the name. i actually want to read it again now, and i'll probably discover it sucks :D

thanks to anyone who can shed light on it.

ris

if i were it would be great, but this thing is running round my bloody head now